Posted by jacob on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 5:42pm.
i have some problems doing trig
the first one is: Show that cos(x/2) sin(3x/2) = ½(sinx + sin2x)
i know that you are supposed to substitute all those trig function things in it but i kind of forgot how to
the only that i can see substituting in is the double angle one for sin2x
could anyone walk me through the process maybe?
What a very nasty trig identity.
I am sure this is not the most efficient way, but the neat thing about identities, if you do legitimate steps, usually you end up showing LS = RS.
I end up with a lot of x/2 angles, so whenever I have one of those I will replace it with A
=cosA(sinxcos(x/2) + cosxsin(x/2))
=cosA(2sinAcosAcosA + (cos^2 A - sin^2 A)sinA)
= 2(sin^2 A)(cos^3 A + sinA(cos^3 A) - (sin^3 A)(cosA)
=(sinA(cosA)[(3cos^2 A) - (sin^2 A)]
let that one sit for a while
= 1/2(2sinAcosA + 2sinxcosx_
=sinAcosA + sinxcosx
=sinAcosA + (2sinAcosA)(cosx)
=sinAcosA(1 + 2cosx)
=sinAcosA(1 + cosx + cosx)
=sinAcosA(sin^2A + cos^2A + 2cos^2A -1 + 1 - 2sin^2A)
= sinAcosA(3cos^2A - sin^2A)
= L.S. !!!!!!!!!
please, somebody come up with a better way.
Answer this Question
- TRIG! - Posted by hayden on Monday, February 23, 2009 at 4:05pm. sin^6 x + cos^6...
- trig 26 - simplify to a constant or trig func. 1. sec ²u-tan ²u/cos ²v+sin ²v ...
- Trig - Simplify sin x cos^2x-sinx Here's my book's explanation which I don't ...
- Simplifying with Trigonometry Identities - Hi, I am a senior in High School ...
- trig - We are doing trig identities in school. I need help with these five: 1.1+...
- Precalculus/Trig - I can't seem to prove these trig identities and would really ...
- Trig........ - I need to prove that the following is true. Thanks (cosx / 1-sinx...
- Trig Help - Prove the following: [1+sinx]/[1+cscx]=tanx/secx =[1+sinx]/[1+1/sinx...
- trig - combine fractions and simplify to a multiple of a power of a basic trig. ...
- trigonometry HELP pleasE! - these must be written as a single trig expression, ...