Posted by DrBob222 on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 9:04pm.
Kw = KaKb. With this equation you can convert any Ka to Kb and the reverse.
Codeine (Cod), a powerful and addictive painkiller, is a weak base.
a) Write a reaction to show its basic nature in water. Represent the codeine molecule with Cod.
b) The Ka for its conjugate acid is 1.2 x 10^-8. What is Kb for the reaction written in a?
c) What is the pH of a .0020 M solution of codeine?
For a, I have:
Cod + H2O <==> HCod + OH-
For b, I'm a little confused. I know the conjugate acid is HCod. However, I don't know how to use that value to help me solve Kb.
I'm pretty sure I know how to solve C.
Any help is appreciated :)
- chem - bob, Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 9:43pm
how do u solve for C and b is basically the Kw(1X10^-14)/the Ka
- chem - Jeff, Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 7:21pm
Cod+ H20 <==> HCod+ OH-
0.002M x M x M
0.002-x +x +x
x=4.08x 10^-5 (theres [HCod])
pOH= PKb + log (HB/B-)
pOH= -log(8.33x 10^-7) + log(4.08x10^-5/0.002) = 4.38
POH + pH = 14 : 14- pOH = pH
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chem. re+asap! - I got the rest, I just need help on the last one. My first post...
- chem - Is ammonium hydroxide a strong or weak base and how do you know that? ...
- Chem - With which of the following will the weak acid HCHO2 react? If a reaction...
- Calculus (need help with only d and e) - Codeine phosphate is a drug used as a ...
- Chem - In acidic solution MnO4- oxidizes H3AsO3, a weak acid, to H3AsO4, a weak...
- chemistry - 1. An aqueous solution of weak base B of unknown concentration is ...
- Chemistry - I have an assignment Q A 0.1 mol L-1 water solution of NH4CH3CO2 has...
- Chemistry - The equilibrium constant Kc for the following reaction is equal to 0...
- chemistry - Codeine (C18H21NO3) is a narcotic pain reliever that forms a salt ...
- chem - Is lithium hydroxide a strong or weak base? It is 100% ionized so, by ...