Posted by Lily on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 11:56am.
Can someone please help me with these few problems here?
Find the holes and points of discontinuity:
In the first, examine x=1
and in the second, examine x=-2. Look at the numerator also at that same point.
Oh, I am so sorry, I typed the wrong thing. For the first, I meant:
Wouldn't the pt of discontinuity be 0 because you set 3x^4 equal to 0.
And for the second, I got x=-2 as the hole and -2 and 0 as the pts of discontinuity.
This is my work:
So you have:
so I am assuming you typed the second one correctly, but your work is not correct.
the (x+2)/(x+2) cancelled, which would be 0/0 when x=-2,
so there would be a "hole" when x=-2
your final expression contains x as a denominator, we cannot divide by 0, so the expression is discontinuous when x=0
I did say the hole was at x=-2. So there are no points of discontinuity, then?
to be speaking of points you have to have a function.
is the expression in the form y = ... or f(x)=...?
you merely gave an expression.
If a function is discontinuous there is usually an asymptote, which is a line that the graph will approach but can never ever reach.
in the case of your second expression, that asymptote is x=0, the y-axis.
so then since you are saying my second expression has an asymptote that means it is a function? so then doesn't that mean there are points of discontinuity?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus please help! - Which of the following functions f has a removable ...
- algebra2 - 1/3 - 5/6 = 1/X SOLVE 1/3 - 5/6 = 1/X Let's remove the denominators ...
- Math - Is the LCD of x/2x-4 and 5x/12x-24 not 24(x-2)? The original question is ...
- algbrea - 3x-5(3x-7)= 2(x+9) + 45 3x-15x+35= 2x+18 +45 -12x + 35 = 2x+63 -12x -...
- Algebra. Please check my answers - Evaluate a/b+c^d for a=6,b=3,c=4 and d=5 A.42...
- Urgent Math please check - Very Important I can get someone to check these for ...
- 9th grade algebra (factoring with quadratic) - Can you check the following ...
- Please check Algebra - Please take a look at my work and let me know if I made ...
- algebra - Find the points of discontinuity and any holes. y=x^2-1/(x^2+3x+2) ...
- Algebra 1 - 1) what is the simplified form of (x-2)(2x+3)? Use the distributive...