Posted by jasmine20 on Friday, April 20, 2007 at 4:26pm.
how can i factor this out completly
i know that4*-3=-12 but how can i get that middle term
first you cannot take out any GCF.
so if you decide to use grouping, you can create an equivalent problem:
x^4 + x^3 - 6 - 6
then by using grouping (the x-terms and the integers):
x^3 ( x + 1) - 6(1+1)
simplified, that is:
(x^3 - 6) - (x + 3) [combining the parentheses)
you can now simply factor out the x-cubed binomial with less difficulty.
as you could *probably* see, you cannot factor this, so using the quadratic formula:
x^3 + 0x -6
a = 1
b = 0
c = -6
-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac) / 2a
0 +/- sqrt(0 - 24) / 2
(since sqrt(-24) doesn't exist, you have to use i)
0 +/- 2 x 6i / 2
a) 0 + 2 x 6i / 2
12 i / 2
b) 0 -2 x 6i / 2
-12 i / 2
so x could equal 6i or -6i
Sorry if this was tedious, but it wasn't easy. hope you understand.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math,help,factoring - i need help i don't know how to do the next step. factor ...
- please help me(math) - 4x^2+20x+5y+xy *you have top factor by grouping.If you ...
- mat 117/algebra - Find the GCF of each product. Please show the steps so I can ...
- Pre-Calculus - How do you factor this completly 7x*(4x-5)^3+(4x-5)^4 I am ...
- math,algebra - can someone help me out factor out this 0=16t^2-122t+180 i have ...
- FACTORING - I can't figure out how to factor this. I know you use the technique ...
- math - How do you factor 2x^2-5x+2? (x-2)(2x-1) how do you figure that out? ...
- Math - 1.3x^2+17x+10 2.5y^8-125 3.a^2-2ab-15b^2 *Please help me.You have to ...
- Math - Rewrite the middle term as the sum of two terms and then factor ...
- algebra 1 [fractions] - 8y^4+10y^3+12y+15 ----------------- 4y+5 divide then ...