Posted by jean on Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 6:02am.
At 20.0 C, an alumium ring has an inner diameter of 5.0000 cm and a brass rod has a diameter of 5.0500 cm.
a. If only the ring is heated, what temperature must it reach so that it will just slip over the rod?
b. WHAT IF? If both are heated together, what temperature must they both reach so that the ring just slips over the rod? Would the latter process work?
sorry., this one i really couldn't figure out. although the last 2 i got it after awhile.
calculate the circumference of the rod.
Calculate the difference in the circumerance of the ring and the rod.
a) LEt that be delta L
solve for delta T.
b) for each, the original material Circumer + delta L is equal to the sum of L and delta L for the other.
but the rod expands, it has a delta V. So the delta L for it has to be determined by changes in V.
Volume= 4/3 PI r^3
dV= 4 PI r^2 dr= V(coefficientvolume)deltaT
dr= V*coeffV*deltaTemp/4PIr^2 where r is the original r. And
newCircumference= 2PI (r + dr)
Now, set the aluminum length heated equal to the brass change in circumference.
Solve for deltaTemp.
so i figured out the first part
but im still lost about part b
Answer this Question
- Physics - You have a brass ring of inside diameter 10.00 cm that is at 20.0oC. ...
- physics - At 20 degrees C an aluminum ring has an inner diameter of 5.000 cm, ...
- PHYSICS 102E - a brass ring of diameter 10.00cm at 20.0 degrees Celsius is ...
- physics - A brass ring of diameter 10.00 cm at 19.9°C is heated and slipped over...
- physics - A brass ring of diameter 10.00 cm at 22.2°C is heated and slipped over...
- Physics - A thin brass ring of inner diameter 10cm at 20degrees C is warmed and ...
- physics - A steel rod is 3cm in diameter at 25C. A brass ring has an interior ...
- Physics - A man's gold wedding ring has an inner diameter of 2.0cm at 30∘C...
- Physics - A brass plug is to be placed in a ring made of iron. At 20 degrees ...
- physics - A lead sphere has a diameter that is 0.050% larger than the inner ...