Posted by Taylour on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 2:04pm.
I need help with this question.
Write the equation of the line which contains the point)0, -3) and whose slope is 4.
A general line equation can be written as
y = mx + c, where m is the slope and c a constant.
so we can write this as y = 4x + c
Substituting the point (0, -3) in the equation, we have
-3 = c
So the equation is
y = 4x - 3
or 4x - y - 3 = 0
The explanation is long but i try to go step by step with it so you can understand it.
first use the formula of line which is :
you have already your slope which is : 4 which in the formual for line would be your letter m. so substitute that in.
now they give you a set of point. which is (0,-3). NOw you know that 0 is your x point and -3 is your y point.
therefore looking at the equation of the line you substitute these two numbers like so.
y = mx +b
so , you have already the following:
y = 0
x = -3
m = 4
so the equation looks like this now after you substitute.
0=4(-3)+b now you find b so you do the following:
0+12 = b
so now you write the equation of the line again:
so your equation you just substitue the m and b and that would be your answer and it should look like this
sorry g you are incorrect because they already gave the point and you need to find for b . in your case you put c. so your finding for c.
Yes, Jasmine20, we had to find the constant and I did exactly that. You misread the point (0, -3). The x is 0 and y is -3.
Thank you so much for explaining this
jasmine. It now makes sense.
TAMMY SORRY I DIDN'T REALIZE I DID USE THE Y WRONG AND X JUST REVERSE THEM BUT THE STEPS ARE THE SAME. AND THEN YOU SHOULD GET
SORRY FOR THAT LITTLE MISTAKE. i WAS TYPING QUICK AND I DIDN'T CATCH THAT.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - I need help with write the equation of the line which contains the point...
- Algebra - Is it possible to find the slope of a line if the equation has two ys...
- MATH! - What type of lines have a slope of zero? Write the equation of a line ...
- math (please help) - 1. Write the equation for the horizontal line that contains...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Math!! - HELP PLEASE!!!! 1.Write the equation of a line with the slope of -2 ...
- ALG 2!!! - 6. What is the slope of the line represented by the equation x = -9? ...
- Algebra HELP!! - Write the equation of a line which contains the point (2,4) and...
- math,question - okay i really don't understand this problem. It says: Prove the ...
- math help & correction - Problem #1 Is this correct or wrong? Find the slope of ...