Posted by Joe on Monday, April 9, 2007 at 7:40pm.
how do I find a value of x that will make each proportion true??
12 = x
8 = 14
See previous post.
i still don't get it sorry
Cross multiply to find x.
Here's the first one; perhaps you can try the second one on your own.
12/16 = x/20
Take 12 * 20, which is 240. Take 16 * x, which is 16x. This is cross multiplying.
16x = 240
Divide both sides by 16 to solve for x.
You will find that x = 15
You can check by substituting 15 for x in your original problem.
12/16 = 15/20
This is a true statement, so you know the answer is correct.
I hope this is clearer.
Thanks for posting, MathGuru. Really good work.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Show how to make one addend the next ten number. complete the new ...
- calculus - Leave any unneeded answer spaces blank. [Hint: use synthetic division...
- statistics - Terms and Definitions matching ___ Statistics ___ Discrete variable...
- science - freezing and thawing cycle that causes potholes in roads and breaks in...
- Algebra, math - how do I find a value of x that will make each proportion true...
- French - I would like to double check my fill in the blank answers. Merci! 26. ...
- Math - i can't find these patterns. my mom and dad tried to. first problem 64,__...
- Chemistry Lab - Provide the correct coefficients to balance the following ...
- Math - I'm stumped on this one too: s e e d + i c e d ---------- s p i c e c= ...
- French - I had to fill in the blanks of this phrase with the following words: ...