Posted by carmen on Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 5:13pm.
Please help me to resolve that sevent questions.Many people are interested in losing weight through
exercise. An important fact to consider is that a person
needs to burn off 3,500 calories more than he or she takes
in to lose 1 pound, according to the American Dietetic
The following table shows the number of calories burned per hour (cal/h) for a variety
of activities, where the figures are based on a 150-pound person.
Bicycling 6 mi/h 240
Bicycling 12 mi/h 410
Cross-country skiing 700
Jogging 5 1/2 mi/h 740
Jogging 7 mi/h 920
Jumping rope 750
Running in place 650
Running 10 mi/h 1280
Swimming 25 yd/min 275
Swimming 50 yd/min 500
Tennis (single) 400
Walking 2 mi/h 240
Walking 3 mi/h 320
Walking 4 1/2 mi/h 440
Work with your group members to solve the following problems. You may find that
setting up proportions is helpful.
For problems 1 through 4, assume a 150-pound person.
1. If a person jogs at a rate of 5 1/2 mi/h for 31/2 h in a week, how many calories do they
2. If a person runs in place for 15 minutes, how many calories will be burned?
3. Ifapersoncross-countryskis for35minutes,howmanycalories willbeburned?
4. How many hours would a person have to jump rope in order to lose 1 pound? (Assume
calorie consumption is just enough to maintain weight, with no activity.)
Heavier people burn more calories (for the same activity), and lighter people burn
fewer. In fact, you can calculate similar figures for burning calories by setting up the
5. At what rate would a 120-pound person burn calories while bicycling at 12 mi/h?
6. At what rate would a 180-pound person burn calories while bicycling at 12 mi/h?
7. How many hours of jogging at 5 mi/h would be needed for a 200-pound person to
lose 5 pounds? (Again, assume calorie consumption is just enough to maintain weight,
with no activity.)
Activity Cal/h Activity Cal/h
Bicycling 6 mi/h 240 Running 10 mi/h 1,280
Bicycling 12 mi/h 410 Swimming 25 yd/min 275
Cross-country skiing 700 Swimming 50 yd/min 500
Jogging 5 mi/h 740 Tennis (singles) 400
Jogging 7 mi/h 920 Walking 2 mi/h 240
Jumping rope 750 Walking 3 mi/h 320
Running in place 650 Walking 4 mi/h 440
Question 7 is 5 1/2 not 5
- math questions - Anonymous, Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 6:36pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Please help me to resolve that sevent questions.Many people are ...
- MAth - help me please Many people are interested in losing weight through ...
- MATH - Many people are interested in losing weight through exercise. An ...
- math - Many people are interested in losing weight through exercise. An ...
- Math - 1.If a person jogs at a rate of 5 1/2mi/h for 3 1/2 h in a week, how many...
- Ratios Math - Please help The following table shows the number of calories ...
- math check please - would some please check this for me. An important fact to ...
- Math/115 - How many hours would a person have to jump rope in order to lose 1 ...
- OOP(netbeans) - Write a program that accepts a person’s weight and displays the ...
- MATH - Someone please help me not sure if I even know what I am doing with any ...