Posted by COFFEE on Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 5:33am.
Posted by COFFEE on Friday, March 30, 2007 at 4:25am.
A 1.1 kg particle-like object moves in a plane with velocity components Vx = 30 m/s and Vy = 90 m/s as it passes through the point with (x, y) coordinates of (3.0, -4.0) m.
(a) What is its angular momentum relative to the origin at this moment?
_____ kg*m^2/s k
(b) What is its angular momentum relative to the point (-2.0, -2.0) m at this same moment?
_____ kg*m^2/s k
i drew a points on a flat xy plane.. but im not sure if i drew it correctly. i have the Vx component towards the positive X direction and the Vy towards the negative Y direction.
angular momentum = r x p
r x p = m (r x v)
......= 1.1 (r x 30)
......= 1.1r x 30
-33 = 1.1r
-30 = r
.. im stuck.. help!
For Further Reading
* Physics - bobpursley, Friday, March 30, 2007 at 7:52am
1. Angular momentum= R x mV Where mV is the linear momentum, x is the cross product, and R is the position vector.
Angular momenum= m(3i-4j)x(30i+90j)
= m270k + m 120k
= m*390 k
check my thinking.
thank you, i understand that part.
..but if the origin was changed, in this case in part b: (-2.0, -2.0) m
how would the 'Angular momentum= R x mV' equation change? is the linear momentum the one affected?
R changes: New R is R-Ro where Ro is the new point for the origin.
You now have M=(R-Ro)xV
thanks! got it :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Re: Physics/Math - A single force acts on a 5.0 kg particle-like object in such...
- physics - The position vector r of a particle moving in the xy plane is r=2ti+...
- Physics/Math - A single force acts on a 5.0 kg particle-like object in such a ...
- Physics - At t=0 a particle starts from rest at x=0, y=0 and moves in the xy ...
- chemistry - Posted by Bret on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 10:44am. what is the ...
- physics - A 1.8 kg particle-like object moves in a plane with velocity ...
- Physics - A 2.1 kg particle-like object moves in a plane with velocity ...
- Angular Momentum - 2.0 kg particle-like object moves in a plane with velocity ...
- Physics - A particle leaves the origin with a velocity of 7.2 m/s in the ...
- Physics - A particle of mass =6.50 kg moves with a velocity v1=x1i+y1j+z1k. A ...