Posted by BIGEYE on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 7:46am.
Appreciate if someone can advise on how to calculate the following:
A hoist lifts a 3.5kg load from rest, and has a final velocity of 2 m/s after 4 seconds. The motor can develop a torque of 4 Nm. Determine:
i) The linear acceleration of the mass.
ii) The angular acceleration of the mass.
I have calculated the linear acceleration to be 0.5 m/s^-2, how can I calculate the angular acceleration from this.
Your answer for the linear acceleration is correct. The question should have asked what is the angular acceleration of the MOTOR. The mass that is being lifted is not roatating. What rotates is the cylindrical drum of the hoisting pulley.
The work done in 4 seconds, ignoring the moment of inertia of the hoist and friction, is (1/2)(3.5)^2^2 = 7 J
You could assume a radius for that drum, but it will cancel out in the end. Here is another way to use the torque:
(Torque) x (angle of rotation of the hoist pulley wheel) = Work done
Angle of rotation = 7/3.5 = 2 radians
2 = (1/2)*(angular acceleration)* t^2
Angular acceleration = 1.0 rad/s^2
Actually, the angular acceleration I computed is for the motor shaft where the torque is specified. To compute the angular acceleration anywhere else will require gear transmission ratios. If you were provided with a diagram, one could figure out angular acceleration from the radius of the pulley hoist and the linear acceleration
Thanks for that, but by transposing, shouldn't it be 2 = 0.5 * a * t^2
a = 2/8
a = 0.25 r/s^2
That's what I'm after, the motor shaft angular acceleration. Can you recheck please, as you got 1 rad/s^2, but my calcs give
2 = 0.5 * a * t^2
2 = 0.5 * 4^2 * a
a = 2/8
a = 0.25 r/s^2
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Angular acceleration - A flywheel of 480 mm diameter is accelerated with an ...
- Physics - An electronic motor is revolving at 2000rpm. After 3sec, it is moving ...
- physics help ; ) - 1.(a)A centrifuge accelerates from rest with an angular ...
- Physics - A wheel starts rotating from rest with uniform angular acceleration....
- science - At time t =0, the current to the dc motor is reversed, resulting in an...
- physics - 2. At time t =0, the current to the dc motor is reversed, resulting in...
- Physics :) - A motor lifts a 70.0 kg box off the ground, starting from rest. In ...
- Physics - A disk at rest experiences a constant angular acceleration for t = 85 ...
- Physics - (a) Calculate the linear acceleration of a car, the 0.280 m radius ...
- PHYSICS - Question Part Points Submissions Used A baseball pitcher pivots his ...