Posted by Mimi on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 4:57pm.
How do I know that x^2-7=y is a function? thanks
you know its a function because its a parabola (x^2)
parabolas are functions because there is only one x value per y value.
So I know it is a function because it has (x^2)? Is that the rule? If it has x^2, it's a function and if it doesn't, it's not a function?
no, its a function if there is only one x value per y value. for example, a circle is not a function, because there are two y values for one x value.
if something is an x^2, you know its a parabola. and a parabola is one of many examples of a function.
How do you tell if there is only one x per y by just looking at an equation such as (x-4)/3=y?
generally, if the equation can be solved for y as a single expression in such a way that the other side contains only x's and constants, then it is a function.
if, when graphed, you visualize a vertical line scanning from left to right, if the vertical line crosses or touches the graph in more than one place for any value of x then it is NOT a function (the verical line test)
what is a constant?
so are most equations usually functions unless y=a squareroot, such as y=sqrtx+6
a constant is a numerical value without a variabe
eg. in y = 7x+5, the 5 is a constant.
even equations like y=SQR(x^2-9) are considered functions, since by the definition the SQR yields only a positive result.
However when you have somthing like
x^2+y^2=100, which is a circle, then when you solve for y you would get
y^=100-x^2 and then
+y=SQR(100-x^2) or -y=SQR(100-x^2)
which we normally write as
notice that y is written as two different equations, thus NO function
yeah, that's what i meant, when the answer is a squareroot
y=sqrt(100-x^2) would be a function since y was written as a single unique expression and for each x of the domain you got one and only one y value.
but isn't the answer y=+sqrt(100-x^2)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Calc. checking answer - Determine whether or not each of the following functions...
- pre calc - The Identity Function The Squaring Function The Cubing Function The ...
- math - determine the value of k such that g(x)=3x+k intersects the quadratic ...
- math - The application of one function followed by the application of a second ...
- calculus please help asap - true or false questions: a)The derivatives of the ...
- unique solution - How do I show that the equation x^4 + 3x + 1 = 0, -2 <= x &...
- Precalculus - The application of one function followed by the application of a ...
- Need Help!! Algebra - I am having trouble in this class and need help with this ...
- Math - is x=5 a function No. The plot (graph) is a vertical line at x=5, so y ...
- MATLAB MATH HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP - Write three functions, AppEval, ...