Posted by jasort20 on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 1:35am.
can someone help explain this for me please...
What values for x must be excluded in the following fraction?
what values for x must be excluded in the following fraction?
When working with fractions, the denominator (part on the bottom) cannot be 0. So we have to look at what value of "x" will make the denominator equal to 0.
The first one is a trick question. Any value you put in for "x", the denominator will never be 0. So any number will work.
Problem #2 has 2 numbers that will make the denominator 0. Forget about the x-3 right now. The top part can be 0. Now...think about this.
You are multiplying 2 equations. "4x-5" and "x+10" The only way to get "0" when multiplying is to multiply a number by 0.
If you multiply 18 x 0, you get 0.
If you multiply 5 x 0, you get 0.
If you multiply 132448957 x 0, you get 0.
So, we can say that if "4x-5" equals 0 OR "x+10" equals 0, the equation will not work.
So now we have to solve for 0 in two different equations:
Solve for x and get 2 different numbers. Those 2 numbers are your answer :)
so let me see if this is correct.
x = 1.25 or 5/4
for x+10 = 0
x = -10
so the two numbers are 5/4 and -10 but then how do i write it out because i still have the numerator
You got the right answers (-10 and 5/4).
If memory serves me correctly, you can just write out the 2 numbers separated by a comma. I MIGHT be wrong though. It has been a while.
I'll start a new thread and ask people who usually teach math this question. My areas are in Computers and Theology. Being in Computers, I know how to do a lot of math. But I don't remember the "official" way to write the answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- help math - Problem #1 what values for x must be excluded in the following ...
- Math - I do not quite understand how to do this. COuld someone please help me? ...
- algebra - I have 2 problems that are hanging me up. Can you show me how? What ...
- Math - (y+5)/(y^(2)+4-32) Find the excluded values for the following fraction.
- Algebra 1--Please, help me! - Find any excluded values of each rational ...
- algebra - consider the function f(x)=9/x and g(x)=9/x find f(g)x))and any values...
- Algebra - What values for x, if any, must be excluded in each of the following ...
- math - what is the excluded values for the fraction a --- 3-2a
- college alg - consider the function f(x)=9/x and g(x)=9/x find f(g)x))and any ...
- Algebra - Can someone check my algebra answers and help me with the problems I ...