Posted by cheryl on Saturday, March 17, 2007 at 12:45am.
The river rose 4 feet above flood stage last night. If a= the riverís height at flood stage, b= the riverís height now (the morning after), which equations below say the same thing as the statement? Explain your choices by translating the equations into English and comparing the meaning with the original statement.
Not going to answer this, but going to give you something to think about how to answer it.
When you use the "+" sign, you are adding to something ... or putting more in.
When you use the "-" sign, you are taking away.
So, overnight, was water added or taken away from the river?
See if that helps narrow down the answer.
That does not help me much because I have no idea how to translate this problem into English. Please help me!
Here are all the possibilities translated into English:
Answer a: The height of flood stage plus the height right now equals 4 feet.
Answer b: The height right now minus 4 feet equals the height of the water at flood stage.
Answer c: The height of the water at flood stage minus 4 feet is the height of the water now.
Answer d: The height of the water at flood stage plus 4 feet equals how much water there is now.
e: The height now plus 4 feet is the height now.
f: The height now minus the height at flood stage equals 4 feet.
- math - Cynthia, Monday, July 22, 2013 at 12:01pm
Answer this Question
- Statistics - 1) Laura McCarthy, the owner of Riverside Bakery, has been ...
- Statistics - ) Laura McCarthy, the owner of Riverside Bakery, has been ...
- chemistry help! - The Colorado River is diverted to flood fields. If the river ...
- math calculus - A person stands on a bridge that is 100 feet above a river. If ...
- calculus HELP! - A person stands on a bridge that is 100 feet above a river. If ...
- geography - what is a river capture river rejuvenation delta a meander a flood ...
- language help ! - In all of recent American history, there has been no worse ...
- calculus - A woman is attached to a bungee cord from a bridge that is 38m above ...
- Quadratic equations motion - Hi, Can anyone offer any advice on solving the ...
- LA - In all of recent American history, there has been no worse river flooding ...