Posted by jasort20 on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at 2:55am.
can someone show me these steps with the division like
1 which would mean half. the following though. so i can see it.
--- + 1
1 - (4)/(x-5)
Get least common denominator.
For top part, the LCD is x-5. So the 1 becomes (x-5)/(x-5). Thus the top becomes (3 + x - 5)/(x - 5). This simplifies to (x-2)/(x-5).
Now do the bottom. The LCD is x-5. So the 1 becomes (x-5)/(x-5). So, the whole bottom part becomes (x-5-4)/(x-5).
This simplifies to (x-9)/(x-5).
Now you have complex fraction, where the top is: (x-2)/(x-5); and the bottom is (x-9)/(x-5). The (x-5)'s cancel, so you're left with:
I got the same answer. Hope I didn't make a mistake.
The top part, however, is not 1/2. It is 2.
Just to make sure, I added a random # in for x (7)
Both answers came to -2.5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - I don't get what the problem is asking? "Which of the following shows the...
- math,correction please.. - (x)/(x-2) - (x+1)/(x) = (8)/(x^2-2x) I keep getting x...
- math - 1/a-1/b ------- a/b-b/a please simplify triple decker fraction you will ...
- math - Which of the following shows the next step using the least common ...
- HELP MATH - how would u simplify this problem i think it is 60 --- x^6 am i ...
- microeconomics - Ok, if anyone is able to help me within the next 12 hours or so...
- bobPursley2...the other one - Problem 2: (x+2)/(2x^2+5x+2) - (x-3)/(2x^2-5x-3) ...
- Algebra - I'm having trouble working out these problems. Could someone please ...
- math,correction - Directions:Multiply Problem: ((x)/(3)+(3)/(4)) ((3x)/(4)-(3)/(...
- Math - Ok so I totally forgot how to find a common denominator when your adding ...