Posted by jasort20 on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at 2:55am.
can someone show me these steps with the division like
1 which would mean half. the following though. so i can see it.
--- + 1
1 - (4)/(x-5)
Get least common denominator.
For top part, the LCD is x-5. So the 1 becomes (x-5)/(x-5). Thus the top becomes (3 + x - 5)/(x - 5). This simplifies to (x-2)/(x-5).
Now do the bottom. The LCD is x-5. So the 1 becomes (x-5)/(x-5). So, the whole bottom part becomes (x-5-4)/(x-5).
This simplifies to (x-9)/(x-5).
Now you have complex fraction, where the top is: (x-2)/(x-5); and the bottom is (x-9)/(x-5). The (x-5)'s cancel, so you're left with:
I got the same answer. Hope I didn't make a mistake.
The top part, however, is not 1/2. It is 2.
Just to make sure, I added a random # in for x (7)
Both answers came to -2.5
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Can someone show me the steps necessary to simplify the expression by ...
- Math. idk? - 6. Name the like terms in the following expression. 5m + 4 + 3m + ...
- Thanks TRISH - thanks...even though you didn't help me with that you still ...
- life science - a.)What are the steps of mitosis? b.)Explain what each of the ...
- Math 3rd grade - The roadrunner bird can run 14 times miles per hour. That's 7 ...
- algebra 2 - can someone please explain synthetic division to me? It's just a ...
- microeconomics - Ok, if anyone is able to help me within the next 12 hours or so...
- Simplify Practice. - Write the difference 30 – (–12) as a sum, then simplify. ...
- math - how would you simplify y= (x^5-32)/(x-2)? I know that it would equal (x^5...
- drbob222 - Are you available to help for a few more min. I am back. Been gone ...