Posted by Helen on Sunday, March 11, 2007 at 3:07pm.
What are the Lewis structures for hydrogen cyanide and cyanogen??
I think it's
with the inner upper electrons being shared.
For the elements in these compounds, which is the noble gas whose electron configuration is attained in the Lewis structures?
(CN)2 is ok.
You have omitted two electrons on HCN.
Count it this way.
H has 1 electron in its outer shell.
C has 4 electrons in its outer shell.
N has 5 electrons in its outer shell.
Total 1 + 4 + 5 = 10 electrons.
You have accounted only for 8.
Now look at the periodic table and identify the NEXT higher noble gas for H, C and N.
Is it Ne, Neon?
It is for C and N. Not for H.
For H, will it be He?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - I have drawn Lewis structures for hydrogen cyanide and cyanogen. I ...
- Chemistry - Count the electrons. HCN I see 10. NCCN I see 18. What noble gas has...
- chemistry - state noble gas whose electron configuration is attained in a lewis ...
- Chem - Draw a Structural Formulae for Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) and Cyanogen (C2N2 ...
- chemistry - help needed to draw lewis structures of hydrogen cyanaide(HCN) and ...
- chemistry - are the noble gases of NCCN cyanogen = Argon HCN hydrogen cyanide = ...
- Chemistry - Metals lose electrons under certain conditions to attain a noble-gas...
- Chem - Concerning compounds cyanogen, Hydrogen cyanide and sodium cyanide. ...
- chemistry, - ,I NEED TO DRAW A LEWIS STRUCTURE for C2n2,cyanogen,and to state ...
- science - the question says assume the valencies of hydrogen, nitrogen and ...