Posted by Raj on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 10:31pm.
Does the conversion of hydrogen peroxide to oxygen involve oxidation or reduction? What substance is acting as the oxidizer or reducer?
Does the conversion of hydrogen peroxide to water involve oxidation or reduction? What substance is acting as the oxidizer or reducer?
Oxidation is the loss of electrons.
Reduction is the gain of electrons.
H2O2 ==> O2
Oxygen on the left is -1 each. O2 on right is 0.
H2O2 ==> H2O
Oxygen on the left is -1 each. O2 on the right is -2.
DrBob222 is incorrect. His chakras are out of alignment. In the first example, it's oxidation and 02 on right is 5. In the second problem, it's reduction and oxygen on left is 8.
In spite of my not knowing what "chakras" means (and I can't find it in the dictionary), I AM correct.
I gave the definitions of oxidation and reduction but I did not identify which process was which in the problem you gave. That is for you to determine.
Next, in the change of
H2O2 ==> O2,
oxygen on the left has a oxidation state of -1 each and on the right, oxygen is zero.
In the change
H2O2 ==> H2O,
oxygen on the left has an oxidation state of -1 each and on the right oxygen is -2 each.
Tyler is incorrect in his/her analysis and his/her oxidations states are not in the same ball park with reality.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- oxidation - In the reaction of hydrogen peroxide with iron (II) ion in acidic ...
- Soil Chemistry - In saturated soils, oxygen is quickly depleted and microbes ...
- Math algebra - David Robertson works as a chemical engineer for U.S. peroxide ...
- chemistry HELP - hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) decomposes into water and oxygen. what...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into water and oxygen. What amount of ...
- Chemistry - How to prepare 100mL of 3% w/w Hydrogen Peroxide from 30% w/w ...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen peroxide(H2O2) slowly decomposes to form water and oxygen ...
- Chemistry - What occurs in the process of ionization? A. Acids dissociate to ...
- Chemistry - Describe the formation of hydrogen bonds in a hydrogen peroxide, ...
- Chemistry - I have .8ml of 35% by weight hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen ...