Posted by Lydia on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 3:47pm.
Can someone please help me with this one?
Just so you know, it is to the 1/2 power.
Add 3x to both sides of the equation, then square both sides.
That should enable you to gather terms and factor.
Yeah, that's the part I understood. Could you help me with the factoring?
This is what I have as of now:
Go to the quadratic equation
x= -b +- sqrt (b^2=4ac) /2a
x= 5 +- sqrt (25+48) /6
x= 5 +- sqrt (73) /6
x= -0.590667291 ; x= 2.25733396
check my work.
Oh, really? We didn't learn about doing it like that, but I think it does work. Thanks!
wait, I got the same answers as you, but then I checked my work and neither worked
That changes the quadratic to
9x^2 -5x -4=0
x= ( 5 +- sqrt (25 + 36*4))/18
yes it works! thanks a ton!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - how do I do this Solve for x. 3x – 2y = 6 Add 2y to both sides and ...
- Algebra - 89. Solve for x in the equation: 6/7x - 6 = -2 I posted this before, ...
- algebra - 1 1 7 -y - -= - 2 8 8 please help me! It isn't clear to me what this ...
- Algebra - Solve problem by showing necessary steps to resolve. 0.06q + 14 = 0.3q...
- ALGEBRA - I believe this answer to be correct. Just need to know. -13<= 4x-2&...
- MATH PLEASE CHECK IT!!2 - m-2/m-5*m+5/m-2=-1 If your problem is this: (m - 2)/(m...
- math - Solve each formula for n. 2n = 4xp-6 3m-n=4s r/n+2=p t=100(n+3) pv/nR=T ...
- Math, rational inequalities - Please can someone help me solve this problem? 2/x...
- Pre Algebra - Here is another one I need help with. -5x+20=-60 ( remember it is ...
- algerbra 1 - what is the answer to 5x-16=14-5x Just giving you the answer is not...