Posted by amanda on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 6:33pm.
Hi, I am a senior in High School having a really difficult time with two problems. I have to prove using the trigonometric identities that they equal each other but I am having a really hard time trying to get them to equal each other. I've spent over 2 hours trying to get these two problems right but I can't. I don't know if the math problems themselves are working because there is some error or that I am just doing them wrong (even though I've spent a long time trying various methods to get them correct). So I was wondering if someone could help me really soon. Here are the problems:
Thank you so much!
1: (1+Cotx)^2/Tanx = CosxCsc^3x + 2Cot^2x
2: Cosx/1-Sinx - Tanx = Secx
Here are some basic trig identities to help with this problem.
sin^2x + cos^2x = 1
secx = 1/cosx
tanx = sinx/cosx
Let's try to get the left side to look like the right side.
cosx/(1-sinx) - tanx =
cosx/(1-sinx) - sinx/cosx =
Common denominator is: (1-sinx)(cosx)
cos^2x/(1-sinx)(cosx) - sinx(1-sinx)/(1-sinx)(cosx) =
[cos^2x - (sinx - sin^2x)]/(1-sinx)(cosx) =
(cos^2x + sin^2x - sinx)/(1-sinx)(cosx) =
(1 - sinx)/(1-sinx)(cosx) =
secx = secx
I hope this helps with this one; perhaps someone else can help with the first problem.
Answer this Question
- Trigonometry - I need help proving trigonometric identities. Most of my ...
- Trigonometric Identities - Which of the following are trigonometric identities, ...
- Trigonometry - Proofs - Prove that the average of the numbers n sin (n degrees...
- Math - Select all the true statements about identities. A) You may use proven ...
- Trigonometry - Hello all, In our math class, we are practicing the trigonometric...
- Trigonometry - I don't understand how I'm supposed set the problem up or what ...
- trigonometric identities - Prove the following trigonometric identities 1. tanx...
- Math (trigonometry) - Trigonometry identities are so hard... I need some help ...
- Trig - How do you express sin4x as a trigonometric funcition of x using the ...
- Math (Trigonometry) - We are working on verifing identities using trigonomic ...