Posted by Julie on Tuesday, March 6, 2007 at 11:13am.
Which action would result in more (financially) valuable product: taking one proton from each nucleus in a sample of gold or adding one proton to each gold necleus? Explain
(ignore the role of elections on the atom)
Make the protons add up.
Au ==> 1
p + zz
Calculate zz, then look on the periodic table to determine the element W.
Same procedure for adding one but put the proton on the left.
Post your work if you get stuck.
79Au ==> 1p + 78Pt (Platinum)
Is that right??
79Au + 1p ==> zzT
identify zz and T the same way.
Then you must decide if Pt or element T is the more valuable.
oh ok thank you.
79Au +1p ==> 80Hg (Mercury)
Pt is more valuable
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Science - which action would result in the more (financially) valuable product: ...
- physics - would adding a proton or taking a proton away from gold nucleus mean ...
- chemistry - Look at gold. It has an atomic number of 79. Adding 1 proton would ...
- Chemistry - I am having trouble answering a question and need some advise. If ...
- Physics - What would be the result of removing or adding one proton from an atom...
- Science - What fundamental force is the reason behind the following and why: 1. ...
- Physics - A proton is fired from far away toward the nucleus of a mercury atom. ...
- Physics - I don't know how to go about this question. We only have an initial ...
- physics - A proton is projected at a stationary 6238 Ni aluminum target. The ...
- physics - 4. What is the electric potential at the surface of a gold atomís ...