Posted by Margie on Saturday, March 3, 2007 at 9:55pm.
____ - _____
*You are supposed to simplify the expresion.I really need help with this and some other problems.Please and Thank you.-
Perhaps I could help but I can't make heads or tails of your posts.
Try using parentheses (and / bar for divisiion).
ok well can you please help then?
I am assuming your problem is this:
(x-2)/(3x+4) - 6x/(x+1)
Since you have two different denominators, you can't just subtract the two fractions. You will need to find a common denominator first. Just multiply the two denominators together and use that as a common denominator (that's the easiest way for most of these kinds of problems).
Common denominator is: (3x+4)(x+1)
Therefore, the problem becomes this:
(x-2)(x+1)/(3x+4)(x+1) - 6x(3x+4)/(x+1)(3x+4)
Note: If you reduce each fraction, you end up with the original problem.
Now since we have the same denominator for both fractions, we can combine the numerators:
[(x-2)(x+1) - 6x(3x+4)] / (x+1)(3x+4)
Expanding the numerator:
(x^2 - x - 2 - 18x^2 - 24x) / (x+1)(3x+4)
Note: Remember to watch signs when expanding the numerator.
Combine any like terms in the numerator:
x^2 - 18x^2 = -17x^2
-x - 24x = -25x
Now we have this:
(-17x^2 - 25x - 2) / (x+1)(3x+4)
Since we can't factor the numerator easily, we can let it stand as is. We cannot reduce this any further.
I hope this will help and is what you were asking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Grammar - Fill in the sentences with adverbs. Do not repeat. 1.______ my friend ...
- Math - I need some help please. I don't understand the math that we are doing. ...
- math - Find the missing numbers to complete the patterns. Some are arithmetic ...
- math [geometry honors] - i really need help solving these problems since the ...
- math - Hi I need help with 5 questions..some of it is confusing to me. I just ...
- Intergration: Measurement (Math) - I don't get it. I need to find out these ...
- pigskin geography - name the states that the Chargers will fly over in route to ...
- Algebra - please help. I am not sure if this is correct. I need to simplify ...
- Algebra help please - Simplify I am using parenthesis to separate , if i write ...
- King Henry Table (math) - It is a table that my teacher is teaching us.It is ...