Posted by Palace on Friday, March 2, 2007 at 9:38am.
How do I solve this?
The perimeter of a rectangular writing pad is 28 inches. The length is 1 inch
less than twice the width. Find the width.
Show all work!
Translate your English into Math
<The length is 1 inch
less than twice the width>
or L = 2W - 1
<Perimeter is 28 inches>
2L + 2W = 28
2(2W-1) + 2L = 28
I am sure you can solve this
I am just beginning to learn this stuff.
The answer is 7 right?
starting from 2(2W-1) + 2L = 28
4w - 2 + 2L = 28
6W = 28+2
W = 5 the L = 2W-1
check 2(9) + 2(5) = 28
Are you sure? I have 4 choices on my
assignment to mark and 9 isn't on there.
The choices are:
A. 8 inches
B. 7 inches
C. 6 inches
D. 5 inches
Yes I am sure.
My answers were W=5 L=9
notice i had verified my answer.
The original equation should be:
2(2w-1)+ 2w = 28 (It used L in the first equation, but L was replaced by 2w-1)
4w-2 + 2w = 28
Combine like terms:
6w - 2 = 28
6w = 30
w = 5
The correct answer is D. Double check it in the original equation.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- Basic Algebra - The width of a rectangle is x inches long. The length of that ...
- basic geometry - A rectangle has width the same asa a side of a square whose ...
- geometry - what do I do to solve this problem? I don't know how to work it out, ...
- geometric - The perimeter of a rectangular carpet is 70feet. The with is three -...
- math - the length of a rectangle is 1 inch less than twice the width, and the ...
- algebra - The perimeter of a rectangular writing pad is 44cm. The width is 4 cm ...
- Pre-Algebra - The length of a rectangular jewelry box is 5 inches more than ...
- algebra - the length of a rectangular jewlery box is 6 inches more than twice ...
- math - what would the dimensions of a retangle be whose perimeter is 50(P=50)...