Posted by sarah on Friday, March 2, 2007 at 5:41am.
Please can someone help me before i pull all my hair out i've been struggling with this for about a week
i need to polymerize this compound and draw the structural formula it needs to contain three monomer units and i need to state the polemerization involved in forming the polymer
please help me!
Sarah--Sorry to keep you waiting but I had to find the answer. I'm not an organic chemist and this stuff was too messy for me to feel confident that I was giving you the correct answer. I have a friend who has a Ph. D. in organic chemistry and has taught organic for about 30 years so I emailed him. His answer follows:
"I suspect this alcohol is dehydrated to 1,3 butadiene which subsequently polymerizes. Three units would look like this:
1,3 butadiene is CH2=CHCH=CH2 is the monomer."
I think if you redrew the structure like this--
CH2=CHCH(OH)CH3 it will be easier to see. Or like this.
The H on the alcohol combines with one of the Hs on the terminal CH3 to eliminate H2O and form the double bond between C-3 and C-4.
I hope this helps.
I see the spacing didn't turn out right.
I will try again.
Still not quite right BUT I think you can tell what is going on.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Please can someone help me before i pull all my hair out i've been ...
- chemistry - This question is about the polymer made by polymerizing this ...
- Chemistry - I have one more question DrBob, I have draw a structure of this ...
- Chemistry s103 Q5 - struggling to get this to come out right: Compound 1 CH2=CH-...
- chemistry - i have had enough,and got no hair left,i need to find the structural...
- Science - COMPOUND 1 CH2=CH-CH-OH ________| _______CH3 COMPOUND 2 _____________O...
- chemistry - 1. All of the following are structural isomers of CH2=CHCH2CH=CHCH3 ...
- chemistry - 1. Would Ch3-OH or CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-OH have a higher boiling ...
- Chemistry - Compound 1 Compound 2 O || CH2=CH-CH-OH + CH3-CH-CH2-C | | | CH3 CH3...
- Chemistry - please help! - How do you do the simplified structural formula and ...