Posted by COFFEE on Monday, February 26, 2007 at 4:11pm.
A stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R that slide across a frictionless floor and then into regions with friction, where they stop. Piece L, with a mass of 2.0 kg, encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction µL = 0.40 and slides to a stop in distance dL = 0.15 m. Piece R encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction µR = 0.50 and slides to a stop in distance dR = 0.20 m. What was the mass of the original block?
For Further Reading
* Physics - bobpursley, Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 5:24pm
the momentum of L and R are equal.
then solve for velocity L (KE=energy)
knowing velocityL, you can use momentum to find veloicty R.
* Physics - COFFEE, Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 11:29pm
energyL = mu*mg*distance
energyL = (.4)(2)(9.8)(.15)
energyL = 1.176
KE = 1/2mv^2
1.176 = 1/2(2)v^2
v = 1.08 m/s
Then which equation do I use???
So the momentum sum is zero.
You have to solve for Vr the same way.
1/2 Mr*Vr^2= Mur*Mr*g*Dr notice the Mr divide out, so solve for Vr. Put that in the equation
solve for mass r.
Then total mass is massR+2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - In the figure, a stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R ...
- Physics - A stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R that slide across ...
- Re: PHYSICS - A stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R that slide ...
- Physics - Block 1, with mass m1 and speed 4.5 m/s, slides along an x axis on a ...
- Physics MCAT, Help please - A box of mass m = 6kg slides with speed v = 4 m/s ...
- Physics - A 2.85 kg stationary package explodes into three parts that then slide...
- physics - After several large firecrackers have been inserted into its holes, a ...
- Physics - A bullet of mass 15 g is fired with an initial speed of 287 m/s into a...
- physics - An unknown object with mass M slides on a smooth frictionless surface ...
- physics - A basketball explodes into three separate pieces. Two pieces of equal ...