Posted by Ang on Friday, February 23, 2007 at 9:05am.
Having trouble getting the correct solution.
The integral of “x squared” in the numerator and “x squared plus x minus 6” in the denominator.
S X2 / (X2 + x – 6) dx
That's a messy one. According to my table of integrals.
The answer is
-x/6 -(1/72)loge(x^2 +x -6)
+ S dx/(x^2 +x -6)
and the last term is another integral that involves an arctangent.
I am not going to attempt to derive it.
Thanks for trying.
I do have the solution, but I'm stuck on part of ariving at the destination.
x - 9/5 ln !x+3! + 4/5 ln !x-2! + C
The trick may require using the method of partial fractions, whereby
x^2/[(x+3)(x-2)] is rewritten as
1 + (6-x)/(x+3)(x-2)]
The "1" term will lead to the "x" term in the integral.
The technique of partial fractions is then applied to the (6-x)/(x+3)(x-2)] term, leaving you with two terms of the form
(ax + b)/(x + 3) + (cx + d)/(x-2)
Do a search online or in your textbook on the method of parital fractions for additional help.
Thank you! Yes it was the algebraic partial fractions. YES!
Answer this Question
- math - (X^2-1)/(x-1) = (x+1)(x-1)/(x-1) = x+1. If you then subtract your ...
- math - i am having a minor difficulty i've been stuck for over an hour and don't...
- math 176 - please detail all the steps for x squared minus 6xy plus 9y squared ...
- please help in math homework - x squared minus 6xy plus 9y squared minus 4z ...
- math - Simplify completely quantity 6 x squared minus 54 plus 84 over quantity 8...
- Math (Algebra II) - I'm trying to finish up my summer math packet, and I'm ...
- math - what is z cube 3 plus z squared minus 7z-7 divide z squared minus 3z ...
- math - when 3a squared minus 7a plus 6 is subtracted from 4 a squared minus 3a ...
- math 116 - find an equivalent equation with the given denominator 7/b= ?/b ...
- algebra - find an equivalent equation with teh given denominator 7/b= ?/bsquared...