Posted by Ang on Friday, February 23, 2007 at 9:05am.
Having trouble getting the correct solution.
The integral of “x squared” in the numerator and “x squared plus x minus 6” in the denominator.
S X2 / (X2 + x – 6) dx
That's a messy one. According to my table of integrals.
The answer is
-x/6 -(1/72)loge(x^2 +x -6)
+ S dx/(x^2 +x -6)
and the last term is another integral that involves an arctangent.
I am not going to attempt to derive it.
Thanks for trying.
I do have the solution, but I'm stuck on part of ariving at the destination.
x - 9/5 ln !x+3! + 4/5 ln !x-2! + C
The trick may require using the method of partial fractions, whereby
x^2/[(x+3)(x-2)] is rewritten as
1 + (6-x)/(x+3)(x-2)]
The "1" term will lead to the "x" term in the integral.
The technique of partial fractions is then applied to the (6-x)/(x+3)(x-2)] term, leaving you with two terms of the form
(ax + b)/(x + 3) + (cx + d)/(x-2)
Do a search online or in your textbook on the method of parital fractions for additional help.
Thank you! Yes it was the algebraic partial fractions. YES!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - (X^2-1)/(x-1) = (x+1)(x-1)/(x-1) = x+1. If you then subtract your ...
- math - i am having a minor difficulty i've been stuck for over an hour and don't...
- math 176 - please detail all the steps for x squared minus 6xy plus 9y squared ...
- please help in math homework - x squared minus 6xy plus 9y squared minus 4z ...
- math - Simplify completely quantity 6 x squared minus 54 plus 84 over quantity 8...
- Math (Algebra II) - I'm trying to finish up my summer math packet, and I'm ...
- math - what is z cube 3 plus z squared minus 7z-7 divide z squared minus 3z ...
- math - when 3a squared minus 7a plus 6 is subtracted from 4 a squared minus 3a ...
- MATH - My Math work instructions is place the numbers from least to greatest. 7 ...
- algebra - A circle has the equation x squared plus y squared plus 8 x minus 8 y ...