Posted by susan on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 7:09pm.
Let f be the frequency, v wav the speed, and T the period of a sinusoidal traveling wave. The correct relationship is:
b)f=vwav + T
Since frequency is equal to T=1/f so f=1/T. Vwav is connected to f by the equation v=lambda* frequency. so f=v/lambda. I have to connect the to f= equations inorder to get the relationship. I chose d because it seemed to combine the both.
For a transverse wave on a string the strong displacement is described as y(x,t)=f(x-at), where f is a given function and a is a positive constant. Which of the following does not necessarily follow this statement?
a)the shape of the string at time t=o is given by f(x)
b) the shape of the waveform does not change as it moves along a string
c) the waveform moves in the positive x direction
d) the speed of the waveform is a
e) the speed of the waveform is x/t
When I looked at the function equation y(x,t)=f(x-at). I thought to compare it with y(x,t)=f(kx-wt). I know that f can stand for Sin or Cos. I thought a can not be equal to the speed of the wave since v=w/k would equal it. So I chose d.
Thank you for your help.
For the first one, I believe the answer is a, as I learned in Honors Precalculus that frequency and period are indirectly related. That is, f=1/p and p=1/f. The equation is the same in a, though the variables are different. I could be wrong though.
correct, the other answers are silly. a is the correct answer.
but it says that you have to connect all three.v,f, and T. I thought of that to f=1/T.
Can you help me with the second?
I wish I could, but I haven't taken Physics. Sorry!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Let f be the frequency, v wav the speed, and T the period of a ...
- Physics - Let f be the frequency, v wav the speed, and T the period of a ...
- Physics recheck - Let f be the frequency, v wav the speed, and T the period of a...
- Physics - The period of longitudinal sinusoidal wave is 0.16 seconds and its ...
- Physics (please help) - A sinusoidal wave travels along a string. The time for a...
- Physics Helpppp - Q11 a(ii)A sinusoidal carrier wave has frequency 500 kHz and ...
- Physics-Please check-I had something wrong with my - Would changing the ...
- physics - A sound wave travels in air at a frequency of 500 Hz. If part of the ...
- Physics-Please check? - Would changing the frequency of a wave cause a change in...
- Physics - Tsunamis are fast-moving waves often generated by underwater ...