Posted by Claire on Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 1:28pm.
I need to write a short essay about the Bible's influence on an artist.
Listed are Michelangelo, da Vinci, Durer, Rembrandt, Rubens, El Greco, and Pippin.
I've searched with google, encarta, and through some others and I can't find a website that tells me anything about the Bible's influence on them.
Do any of you know a site that could help? Thanks. :)
Look at the work of Michelangelo: The Pieta, David, the Sistine Chapel.... LOTS there to write about. Look at this site.
Consider Michelangelo and
, sculpture of Mary holding Jesus just after he had been taken down from the cross
~~his sculpture of David (Who was David, anyway?)
~~different sections of the Sistine Chapel ceiling
~~the far wall of the Sistine Chapel
You can do the same with the others. Look them up in Google and with Google Images ( http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=
Look at the works; look at the names or titles of the works.
Another thing to keep in mind is that Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo Buonaroti were rather "transitional" between Medieval and Renaissance cultures. There is no clear-cut dividing line between the two eras, but the differences between them is fairly clear.
Medieval and "transitional" artists were much more heavily influenced by the Bible, whereas those who came later were not necessarily so.
So pay attention to the birth and death dates of these artists. The older ones were closer to Medieval times and thought.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- art 101 - I need some help looking up three works of da Vinci with three of ...
- Art Appreciation - Ruben and Rembrandt: Reflection and Temperament. Contrast The...
- English - Imagine that you are an agent who is interested in publishing new ...
- art 101 - Contrast The Elevation of the Cross by Rubens with Rembrandt’s Return ...
- English 2 - How did the bible influence Michelangelo's imagination? Thanks -MC
- Art 101 - Describe how each artist(Da Vinci and Michelangelo) View drawing as ...
- Psychology - Can the Bible and science co-exist without either losing its ...
- English - When writing a literature essay about the bible, do you write in past ...
- Bible Fill In The Blank - 1. God can use suffering to cause us to ? spiritually ...
- english - This is my intro paragraph for my research paper about the importance ...