Posted by Tracy on Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 3:02pm.
Heyy, I posted this before but it kinda got pushed down and ignored, and I was hoping maybe DrBob might have an idea since no one else did! okay I have this question about chemistry and its driving me nuts. It feels like I am so close but am just missing something. The question is:
A vessel of 6.84 L in volume contains 3.61 L of pure water at 25°C. A partial pressure of 3.67 atm of CO2 is quickly injected into the space above the water. Calculate the partial pressure of carbon dioxide remaining once the solution has become saturated with the gas. Henry's constant for CO2 at this temperature is 0.0350 M atm-1
Okay so I know basically this...we dicussed with some other people and rearrganed equations and basically got this:
(mol initial - mol final)/V = concentration x pressure.
so the initial moles you get using PV=NRT, so N=PV/RT and same for moles final (diff volumes used of course) but I think thats where I'm messing up. Because after that you divide by a volume, then by the concentration. But I think I'm messing up what volumes go where. I know what the answer ius supposed to be and I cant get it for the life of me. I'm thinking that for inital moles the volume would be 6.84 cause thats the whole thing. And then I'm thinking for final moles it would be 3.61 cause thats where the liquid is. But I dont know what I would divde by...the leftover 3.23? anyways I've tried many combinations and I cant get it. ANy help would be greatly apprecaited. I could be totally on the wrong track. Thanks
Please indicate your subject in the Subject line
. That way, the specialists will know to look at your post. Below is a list of subjects to put in the Subject line; please use whatever fits or include your own specific subject area:
Answer this Question
- DrBob+Thanks! - Drbob, your explanation is very clear and I learned alot out of ...
- Chemistry; to drwls or drbob - i think i have posted this before except i forgot...
- Dr.Bob => Can you see the post down the pg by me - I'm trying to post this ...
- Chemistry - Determine the unknown quantity in the following cell at 298.15 K. Pt...
- Dr.Bob can you check out the question down the pg - I posted a question ...
- For DrBob - Hey DrBob, I posted an answer to you question on my lab report just ...
- geology - Judging from the sizes of the before-and-after craters atop Mount St. ...
- Physics - An electroscope is a simple device consisting of a metal ball that is...
- English - 1. What are people in the Netherlands hoping for? 2. What are people ...
- Advice...about chemistry degree Dr.Bob - Based on the question topic posted by ...