Posted by norman on Thursday, February 1, 2007 at 10:36pm.
can anyone help with this?
suppose you bought some 32 cents stamps and some 20 cents stamps. you spent $3.92 for 16 stamps. how many of each stamp did you buy?
i got the equation--.32x + .20y = $3.92 but don't know how to solve for x and y
Step 1: Solve for y in equation (1).
.20y = 3.92 - .32x
Step 2: Substitute this value for y in equation (2). This will change equation (2) to an equation with just one variable, x.
.32x + .20(3.92 - .32x)= 3.92
multiply it out
.32x + (.20 x 3.92) - (.20 x .32x) = 3.92
solve for x, then go back and plug x into the equation and solve for y
yes now i understand the process. i just couldn't get past seeing x and y. thanks
.32x + .784 -.064x = 3.92
.256x + .784 = 3.92
.256x = 3.136
Hello Norman, in case u have not solved this yet, try this:
x+y = 16
32x + 20y = 392
You will get whole number answers for x and y.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - suppose you bought some 32 cents stamps and some 20 cents stamps. you ...
- math - still can't solve .32x + .20y = 3.92 it's my last math question for the ...
- math - suppose you bought some 32 cent stamps and some 20 cent stamps. you spent...
- maths. - Alice spent some money on 60 stamps of two different values. The values...
- Algebra - Word Problems (Addition/Elimination Method). Check if my answers are ...
- intermediate algebra - A business executive bought 40 stamps for $13.68. The ...
- Algebra - Luanne bought 50 stamps, some costing 37 cents and the rest costing 22...
- Algebra - Amy bought 18 stamps. Some were for postcards and cost 35 cents. The ...
- Math - A woman bought some 13 cent stamps and some 8 cent stamps at the posg ...
- Math (Please Help) - A man went to a post office to buy stamps. He bought x, 50 ...