Posted by Gina on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 3:22pm.
I first went to a website to help me with clauses. It said that an example of a clause is:
"It is cold"
My definition says that a clause has a subject and a verb but no complete thought. Where is the subject and where is the verb.
I honestly don't understand it.
"is" is the verb.
However, there are two types of clauses.
1) independent clauses - they are complete thoughts having a subject and a verb.... in other words they make sense all by themselves. It is cold is an independent clause.
2) dependent clauses - they have a subject and a verb BUT they don't make sense all by themselves. They are used usually as modifiers...Example It is cold ( when the snow falls). When the snow falls doesn't make sense by itself....but, it tells WHEN it is cold.
Please let us know if you need further help with this. Thanks for asking Jishka.
A verb is an action word. Correct? What action is "is" doing?
There are kinds of verbs -- action and state of being verbs. State if being words include all forms of "BE" -- be, being, been, am, is, was, were. In the sentence It is cold,
IS shows state of being. COLD is an adjective, describing IT.
In addition, some words are also used as linking verbs -- for instance -- seem, feel. For example, It SEEMS cold
and It FEELS cold
have linking verbs.
Check this site for more information.
(Broken Link Removed)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- FOR DAN H - EXAMINE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE AND CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE ...
- English: clauses - we have to to identify the dependent clause in this sentance ...
- Grammar-clauses - I put the underlined parts of the sentences in parentheses. ...
- English Grammar - Clauses - The following sentence contains _____. We like him ...
- English - Ms. Sue - I guess that Ashley wasn’t popular in our town. independent ...
- 11th grade english. Noun clauses - I'm supposed to choose how the italicized ...
- Grammar - 1. Identify the NC in each of the following sentences. Tell whether it...
- English - On following sentence the first clause is a dependent clause. The ...
- 11th grade english - I'm supposed to choose how the italicized noun clause is ...
- Language need help - I love telling people about Jodi Picoult, (whose books are ...