Posted by Shawn on Friday, January 26, 2007 at 8:50pm.
Nitric acid is produced commercially by the Ostwald
process, represented by the following equations:
4NH3(g) + 5O2(g) > 4NO(g) + 6H2O(g)
2NO(g) + O2(g) > 2NO2 (g)
3NO2(g) + H2O(l) > 2HNO3(aq) + NO(g)
What mass of NH3 must be used to produce 1.0x10^6 kg HNO3 by the Ostwald
process? Assume 100% yield in each reaction [and assume that the NO produced in the third step is not recycled.]
Convert 1.0 x 10^6 kg HNO3 to mols HNO3. I assume you know mols = grams/molar mass.
Then convert mols HNO3 to mols NO2 using the coefficients in the last equation (equation 3).
You must have omitted the third step since that was to be ignored.
Convert mols NO2 to mols NO using the coeffieicnts in the second equation.
Convert mols NO to mols NH3 using the coefficients in the first equation.
Finally, convert mols NH3 to grams NH3 remembering that grams = mols x molar mass.
Post your work if you get stuck.
HNO3 mols =15873015.87
which means 95238095.24 mols of NO2
Because the coefficient of NO2 and NO and NO and NH4 are the same, there are 95238095.24 NH4.
Multiply that by the molar mass (17) and divide by 1000 gets me 1619047.619 kg. Is this right?
- Chem - Anonymous, Monday, October 20, 2014 at 11:26pm
- Chem - dwadwadwa, Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 8:20pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Nitric acid can be produced from NH3 in three steps process: I)4NH3(...
- Chem - Nitric acid is produced commercially by the Ostwald process, represented ...
- chemistry - 4NH3 + 5O2 → 4NO + 6H2O 2NO + O2 → 2NO2 3NO2 + H2O ...
- Chem - Set up a Hess’s law cycle, and use the following information to calculate...
- Chemistry - Nitric acid, HNO3, is produced from ammonia and oxygen by the ...
- chemistry - Nitric acid can be prepared from ammonia by the following steps; ...
- chemistry - Nitric acid is produced commercially by the Ostwald process, ...
- chemistry - One of the steps in the Ostwald process for the production of nitric...
- Chemistry - Nitric Acid is produced from nitric oxide, NO which in turn is ...
- Chemistry - One step of the Ostwald process for manufacturing nitric acid ...