Posted by Kasey on Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 6:14pm.
I have two questions that I'm not quite sure on.
In the sentence 'To Franklin, publishing was a challenging and rewarding career', which word is a gerund?
In the sentence 'Benjamin Franklin enjoyed experimenting with electricty and inventing tools used by many people' which word is a participle?
A gerund is a verb form ending in -ing. Gerunds are used as nouns. They can be subjects or objects.
Which word in your first sentence do you think is a gerund?
Participles are also verb forms, but they are used as adjectives. Which word do you think is the participle?
Please post your answers and we'll be glad to comment on them.
Could these be correct?
The first one is absolutely correct. However in the second one, experimenting is a gerund. What word describes "tools"
So would it be used?
Yes, "used" is correct.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I have to write a 300-500 word essay answering the following questions...
- Career...Help Please. - I have to write a 300-500 word essay answering the ...
- English - I really need help with my writing. I need some to proof read a paper...
- English - Publishing - If I self-publish my books (stories I wrote) then later ...
- Speech - I need an interesting way to start a speech on how to ride a dirt-bike ...
- English - He needs to concentrate more on his career...
- reading - When trying new study techniques that appeal to your strongest ...
- Question - Okay, I'm doing a project on careers and one of the questions I have ...
- resume help - i have to write a resume for my english class so for my job, i ...
- English - In which sentence does the italicized word have a negative connotation...