Posted by Emily on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 10:53pm.
consider the molecules PF3 and PF5.
b]is the PF3 molecule polar or is it nonpolar. explain
C] on the basis of bonding principles, predict whether each of the following compounds exists. In each case explain your prediction.
2. explain why the H-N-H bond angle is 107.5 degrees in NH3.
You need to tell me a little of what you think on these. The last question was a freebie but this one isn't.
for b, draw the Lewis electron dot structure for PF3 and that will tell you the shape. That will tell you if it is polar or non-polar.
For NF5 and AsF5, go through the Lewis dot structures.
i dont know
- ap chem - Stephanie, Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 9:16am
b] PF3 is polar because it contains polar bonds and is not symmetrical
2. H-N-H bond angle is 107.5 because in space everything is three dimensional. If you looked at a three dimensional molecule of H-N-H, you would see that the angle is greater than 90 degrees. When measured it turns out to be about 107.5 degrees.
- ap chem - Anonymous, Monday, October 20, 2008 at 6:31am
PF3 Triangular pryramid shape thus is not symmetric yet PF5 is symmetric thus the molecule is not polar
- chem - Anonymous, Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 4:59pm
what types of hybrid
orbitals are involved in the bonding of the silicon atoms in silicon tetrafluoride,SiF4?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Consider the following unbalanced reaction. P4(s) + 6F2(g) 4PF3(g) ...
- chemistry - In the reaction below, ΔH°f is zero for ___________. Ni(s) + ...
- ap chem - P4 + F2 = PF3 What mass of F2 is needed to produce 120 gm of PF3, if ...
- chemistry - Consider the following unbalanced reaction. P4(s) + F2(g) PF3(g) How...
- Chemistry - Consider the following unbalanced reaction. P4(s) + F2(g) PF3(g) ...
- chem - Which compound has a higher boiling point and why? a. PF3 b. PF5
- Chemistry - "A sample of a nonpolar molecules capable of only dispersion forces ...
- Chemistry - For each pair of compounds, identify the one with the higher boiling...
- Chemistry - Consider the following unbalanced reaction. P4(s) + F2(g)---> PF3...
- chemistry - given the following electronegativities Na=0.9, H=2.1, Cl=3.0 which ...