Posted by Chris on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 2:39pm.
I need help balancing this redox equation:
H2O2 + Ni+2 --> H2O + Ni+3 in basic solution.
Here's what I have so far:
Ni+2 --> Ni+3 + 1e-
H2O2 --> H2O
I can't seem to make the second half-reaction balance.
If you follow the rules for balancing basic redox solutions, this should work as follows:
H2O2 ==> H2O
First, add 2 to right to make two O atoms (so we are comparing the same number).
H2O2 ==> 2H2O.
Total charge on left O is -2. Total on right O is -4
Add 2 electrons to left to balance charge.
2e + H2O2 ==> 2H2O
Charge on left is -2. Charge on right is 0. Add OH^- to balance charge. So add 2 OH^- to right (this is a basic solution).
2e + H2O2==>2H2O + 2 OH^-
Then add water to other side to balance H atoms.
2e + 2H2O + H2O2==>2H2O + 2OH^-
Now cancel the 2H2O on each side to arrive at the final half equation.
2e + H2O2 ==> 2OH^- OR
we could have done it easier by simply going to OH^- initially.
H2O2 ==> 2 OH^-
Charge on left O is -2. right O is -4
Add 2e to left.
2e + H2O2 ==> 2 OH^-
Check my thinking and my work.
- chem - Caitlin, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 3:57am
I can do it two ways. I'm not sure which way is right though. Here is way 1.
(If you don't make the oxygen into O2.)
Also I think you just confusing yourself. You don't need to add any OH.
This is how I would do it.
Equation: H2O2 ==> H2O +O
Charge: -1 ==> -2
Solution: add +1e- to the left hand side so the charges equal.
H2O2 +1e- ==> H2O + O
Equation:2H2O2 ==> 2H2O +O2
Charge: -2 0
Solution: add 2 electrons (+ 2e-) to the right and side.
Solution: 2H2O2 ==> H2O + O2 +2e-
I think the first way is right.
- chem - Carolina, Friday, May 14, 2010 at 7:25pm
He's right. When you reduce H2O2 in basic solutions you have to add OH- to balance the equation.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chem- i reallyneed help - Consider the following equations. N2H4(l) + O2(g) N2(g...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen peroxide can act as either an oxidizing agent or a reducing...
- science - How would you balance this reaction(it's a half reaction problem): ...
- chem - i need to balance this redox euation Mn+2 +H2O2----- MnO2 + H2O
- please check my answer - Consider the following equations. N2H4(l) + O2(g) N2(g...
- chem-redox - write down Oxidation equation, Reduction equation and Overall ...
- chemistry - A mixture of hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, and hydrazine, N2H4, can be ...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, is a colorless liquid whose solutions are ...
- Chemistry - Thank you for your help. I did want to clarify why you are only ...
- Chem - An electrochemical cell based on the decomposition of H2O2 can be ...