Posted by leya on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 11:37am.
Need some help! i understand mostly this poem but can someone explain to me the part from FOR IF I SHOLUD till the end
When God at first made man,
Having a glass of blessings standing by,
Let us (said He) pour on him all we can:
Let the world’s riches, which dispersed lie,
Contract into a span.
So strength first made a way;
Then beauty flowed, then wisdom, honour, pleasure:
When almost all was out, God made a stay,
Perceiving that alone of all His treasure
Rest in the bottom lay.
For if I should (said He)
Bestow this jewel also on my creature,
He would adore My gifts instead of Me,
And rest in Nature, not the God of Nature:
So both should losers be.
Yet let him keep the rest,
But keep them with repining restlessness:
Let him be rich and weary, that, at least,
If goodness lead him not, yet weariness
May toss him to My breast.
For if I should give man this final gift man would forget that God, not he, was responsible for all those previous gifts. Then both God and Man would be lessened.
The author does not say what the final gift is...he leaves that for you to decide. But he gives you clues - "repining restlessness", "rich and weary", "weariness may toss him to MY breast".
can you maybe help me with something else?
i am analyzing this poem i have to write 800 words.I have to have a clear thesis in the intoductory but i am not sure what it is in this poem?
I think the thesis needs to be what YOU think the gift is. Then set about proving it based on what the poem says. This is a really neat poem...
You might start it with something like "Without the gift of "......" man and God would not have reached the relationship which has been most positive.
thanks..you really help.i am analyzing the poem.but i am just not good in that. i'll try with your idea it seems very good:)
what are the fetures of a poem
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Please explain the first stanza of the pulley by george herbert.. When...
- english-poem - can someone help me and tray to explain to me these lines from ...
- analyze the poem-clear thesis? - The Pulley George Herbert When God at first ...
- English - I need to write a poem in the style of an American romantic poet. I ...
- English - I don't understand this poem. Well, I understad the first part until ...
- English - Hi, I'm in need of some help with the poem "Marvell's garden" by ...
- English--Please, help me! - 1. You can often tell the part of speech of a word ...
- 9th grade lit poem - I need assistance I was on here before with this poem but ...
- AP English - I'm having trouble finding IRONIES in George Orwell's "1984" book ...
- English - I don’t understand the last part ‘But not one man that I …….. as ...