Posted by Elton on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 at 11:40pm.
50r^8 – 32r^2
The caret symbol represents a power.
DrBob222 forgot a minus sign:
50r^8 – 32r^2 =
2r^2(25r^6 - 16)
Then, inside the brackets, you see a difference of two squares:
25r^6 - 16 = X^2 - Y^2
with X = 5 r^3 and Y = 4
You can then simplify this using
X^2 - Y^2 = (X + Y)(X - Y) --->
25r^6 - 16 = (5 r^3 + 4)(5 r^3 - 4)
You can factor each of these factors further by finding one of the roots.
5 r^3 + 4 = 0 -->
r = -(4/5)^(1/3)
This means that you can divide
5 r^3 + 4 by [r + (4/5)^(1/3)] to obtain a quadratic term. In case of the other factor you find the root
r = (4/5)^(1/3) and you can thus divide the term by [r- (4/5)^(1/3)] to find a quadratic factor.
Thanks to Count Iblis for catching my error. I got so carried away with trying to make the exponents look good that I simply read a minus sign but typed a + sign. Such is old age, bad eyes, and an elevator that doesn't go all the way to the top.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Derivatives - What is the fourth derivative of f(x)= e^-x^2. I got f''(x)=-2e^-x...
- Powers in Math - (5a^3b^4)^2=? *I don't get this one...PLease Help! (5a3b4)2= (5...
- math2 - 5y^8-125 *you have to factor completley easy. Take out the five: 5(y^8-...
- Property of logarithms - Using property of logarithms, how do I prove derivative...
- math-volume - I'm confused with how to solve this problem, so help would be ...
- help - Y^3Y/Y^-2 If you post with the correct word in the Subject line, you'll ...
- Math - If a^3 = x^2 what is a^2y+1 = x^6, solving for y You would have (x2)3 = ...
- mat 117/ algebra - My question is about scientific notations. Here is the ...
- algebra2 plzz help - how do you solve these problems (5x)to the power of a+4(5x)...
- math exponents - x to the - power x to the fraction power x to the -fraction ...