Posted by Megan on Monday, January 8, 2007 at 7:27pm.
Are the Carbon atoms full though. I dont know. My teacher was saying something about putting the atoms with dots on a diagonal and she said something about using arrows to indicate the "CC" bonds.
I dont understand what you mean by th .. are next to the two C atoms.
Sorry. You are right. I got so carried away trying to space everything properly I didn't count the H atoms. Just remove the two H atoms and the 4 dots on the bottom. I'll redraw it it necessary.
my teacher said the same
There should only be 4 hydrogens in C2H4
Usually a BAR (as in -) is used to show a bond and a bar can be replaced with two .. for two electrons for the electron dot structure.
This is the "stick" model in which the - or | represents the bond between C and C and C and H. To make the electron dot structure, simply replace the | or - with .. or :
there is a double bond between C and C so I drew it as C=C. It can be represented as C::C also.
Are the carbon atoms full, though? yes. We should have a total of how many electrons?
For C2H4 we have
2C = 2 x 4 e each = 8 electrons.
4H = 4 x 1 e each = 4 electrons.
A total of 12 electrons.
Count each - or | as two electrons. You will count 12.
Obviously C2H4 should have been C2H4
Almost. On the bottom, interchange the .. and the H so the H atoms are on the bottom and the .. are next to the two C atoms.
See how this looks.
Draw the electron-dot structure and stuctural formulas for:
C2H4 (Dicarbon Tetrahydride)
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Wednesday, October 29, 2008 at 10:57pm
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 6:29pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - how many carbon particles are there in 4.25 mole of C6 H12 O6? i do ...
- chemistry help - ok so i need to find how many atoms make up the earth. the ...
- chemistry - calculate number of atoms in 4.67 mol of Ca(NO3)2 I got: 2.81 X 10^...
- chemistry - How many atoms of carbon are needed to produce 0.45 mol Al? 3C + ...
- Chemistry (Check) - Classify each of these statements as always true, sometimes ...
- chemistry help!!! please!!! DrBob222 I need you!! - How many atoms of carbon are...
- science - How many atoms of carbon are needed to produce 0.45 mol Al? 3C + ...
- English - I have a question about quoting. If I have a sentence like: Something ...
- SCIENCE - What is the chemically combined substance of a hydrogen atom and a ...
- to ms.sue - thank you so much! i still dont get it when my teacher said you had ...