Posted by tony on .
would some please check this for me.
An important fact to consider is that a person needs to burn off 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound.
The following table shows the number of calories burned per hour (cal/h) for a variety of activities, where the figures are based on a 150-pound person.
Bicycling 12 mi/h 410
Cross-country skiing 700
Jogging 5 mi/h 740
Jumping rope 750
Running in place 650
For problems 1 through 4, assume a 150-pound person.
1. If a person jogs at a rate of 5 1/2 mi/h for 3 1/2h in a week, how many calories do they burn?
3 1/2 x 740cal=2,590cal
2. If a person runs in place for 15 minutes, how many calories will be burned?
60min. into 650ca/h = 10.83
10.83 x 15 min = 162.45 163calin 15 minutes
3. If a person cross-countryskis for 35 minutes,how many calories will be burned?
divid 60min into 700cal/h=
11.66 x 35min=408.45cal in 35 min
4. How many hours would a person have to jump rope in order to lose 1 pound?
divid 750 into 3500 cal to lose a lb.
4.66 roud it to 5 hours
Heavier people burn more calories (for the same activity), and lighter people burn fewer. In fact, you can calculate similar figures for burning calories by setting up the appropriate proportion.
5. At what rate would a 120-pound person burn calories while bicycling at 12 mi/h?
150/x=120 x 410
150/x = 49200
divid 150 into 49200=328cal/h
6. At what rate would a 180-pound person burn calories while bicycling at 12 mi/h?
150/x=180 x 410
150/x = 73800
divid 150 into 73800= 492cal/h
7. How many hours of jogging at 5 mi/h would be needed for a 200-pound person to lose 5 pounds?
150/x=200 x 740
150/x = 148,000
divid 150 into 148,000 = 987cal/h
3500cal x 5lb= 17,500 cals
divid 987 into 17,500= 987cal/h
17.73= 18 hrs.
For #1: You need to start by figuring out how many calories you burn an hour. In the directions at the top, it says that you burn 740 calories if you run 5 mi/h, but you are running 5.5 mi/h. Set up a proportion:
After cross multiplying, you see that you are burning 814 calories per hour because you are running faster. Then, multiply 814 by the number of hours, 3.5 and you get a grand total of 2849 calories burned.
You did get this one right, but there is a much easier way to do it. 15 minutes is a quarter of an hour. Therefore, take 650 calories per hour and divide it by four to get 162.5, or 163.
The rest are all correct!
(15 – 5) ÷ [(12 ÷ 2 • 2) – 2]
math check please -
The minimum daily values for certain foods are given. They are based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet. Find the decimal and frational notation for the precent notation each day.
A) 1 ounce tostitos provides 9% of the MDV of fat
C) 1/2 cup of campbells new england clam chowder provides 6% of the MDV of iron