Posted by zeke on Sunday, January 7, 2007 at 10:14am.
how do you check addition problems by adding up?
Let's use this addition problem as an example.
First you add 1 + 5. To check your work, add up, 5 + 1.
If you have a column of numbers and you go down each column to add them together, that's normal, right?
To check to make sure you're right, you'd add from the bottom to the top
of each column. If you get the same answer, you know it's right.
That's called adding up
When my mother was working for her father in the family business (long before calculators or computers) and had to add long columns of numbers, adding down was the standard; then adding up was the double-check.
thank you,that was very helpful.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - how do you add and subtract + and - numbers? Is there a rule? Yes. The ...
- Math - 75 + -63 + 7( 115/ -5 + (-8)2 ) -63 is -6 to the third power and (-8)2 is...
- MATH - What are the 3 property names of addition? 1. The Zero Property of ...
- math - Show how to make one addend the next ten number. complete the new ...
- Geometry - Complete Problem #28 in Section 1.5 Exercises (Chapter 1) of ...
- Grade 3 math - Never thought I would have a problem with Gr. 3 math - lol - but ...
- Algebra 2345678!! - Solve the system of equations using the Addition method. 2a...
- MATH - What is commutative property of addition? The commutative property of ...
- math - if we consider multiplication as repeated addition then it is simple to ...
- 1st grade math - Hi, my son Jackson needs a lot of help on addition facts. Is ...