Posted by cathleen on Friday, January 5, 2007 at 2:23pm.
How would you synthesize each of the following?
a. 1,2-dibromopropane from propene
b. acetone (2-propanone) from an alcohol
c. tert-butyl alcohol (2 methyl-2-propanol)from an alkene
d. propanoic acid from an alcohol
How would you synthesize the following esters?
the double bond of oxygen is suppose to be over the carbon 3rd to last.
a. Can't you simply add Br2 to the double bond.?
b. Oxidation of a secondary alcohol yields a ketone.
R2CHOH + K2Cr2O7==> R2C=O
c. Alkene + HOH to the double bond with 63% H2SO4. Start with Isobutylene [2-methyl butene (I think I named that right)] and treat with 63% H2SO4 to yield tert-butyl hydrogen sulfate, add water and heat to form the tert-butyl alcohol.
d. Oxidation of a primary alcohol with permanganate produces the acid.
RCH2OH + KMnO4==> RCOOH
Esters are made by adding and acid to an alcohol. Acetic acid + n-octyl alcohol yields the n-octylacetate.
I can't tell where the ester is but add an acid to an alcohol.
I hope this helpsl a little. Check my thinking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry, Please HELP! - What are the names of the seven isomers of C4H10O? A...
- Chemistry - Could someone please help me with the following questions; 1.) ...
- chemistry - Match the name or structure with its functional group. Each molecule...
- Chemistry - %v/v - 1. How many mL of acetone are needed to prepare a 10% v/v ...
- organic chemistry - 1if you open the tert-butyl chloride and tert-butyl bromide ...
- chemisry - Q2. Distinguish between the following- 1. CH3OH and C2H5OH 2. Phenol ...
- Chemistry - 1. Can I2 react with Cyclohexane to form any product (without or ...
- org. chem. - If benzophenone is nonpolar, how come it is only partially soluble ...
- Org. Chem. - If benzophenone is nonpolar, how come it is only partially soluble ...
- Chem. - Here's a multiple choice on a worksheet I've been given. The thing is ...