Posted by Gina on Thursday, January 4, 2007 at 11:14am.
Can you please go step by step, Ill show what I did and you can correct me.
The question is:
Could someone please check over this and provide a correct answer and my error.
Thanks in advance.
a+a(x+1) does not equal 2a(x+1)
If it was (a+a)(x+1), then that would work, but it's not.
The correct next step is:
You may not add the terms a and a(x+1) since they are not the same. You can add a and a or a(x+1) and a(x+1) but not the in-between.
Firt, expand the second term by multiplying each term withing the parentheses by a.
a + ax + a =
then you may add the same terms to obtain:
2a + ax =
I don't know where you are going with this equation or the final form in which it is to be found; however, you can now factor out a to obtain
a(2+x). That is how I would leave it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 1--Step-by-Step - Can someone show me how to solve these step-by-step? ...
- Math Inequalities - -9/8x greater than or equal to -1/16 can someone please ...
- algebra - solve by using the quadratic formula prove your answer is correct by ...
- math - I am a little confused on the first question of this problem could ...
- math - can someone please check my answer for me? thanks in advance 9(x+4)=3(3x+...
- please help math factor trinomial - y^3-13y^2+36y Can someone please show me ...
- Algebra 2 - can someone show me how to do it step by step please! Use a graph ...
- algebra - please help im lost the instructions are to solve by using thee ...
- math - can someone check my answer please? solve using multiplication principle...
- algebra - can someone please check my answer for me? 6-2x=6x-10x+14 I got x=-2 ...