Posted by Margaret on Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 8:15pm.
Can someone please help me with the following questions?
1:Suppose you were given an ancient wooden box. If you analyze the box for carbon-14 activity and find that it is 50% of that of a new piece of wood of the same size, how old is the wood in the box?
2:How old is an Egyptian scroll made of papyrus that contains 75% of the amount of C-14 that would be found in a piece of paper today?
Please and thank you!
1. The half-life of a material is the time it takes for 1/2 of the material to disintegrate. Thus, the box, if it has lost 50% of its activity, must have gone through one half-life. What is the half-life of C-14? Take 1/2 of that.
2. Suppose you start with 100 atoms of C-14. If the activity is now 75%, we must have 75 atoms today.
Substitute the half-life for t1/2
to find k, then substitute k into the ln equation and solve for t.
Post your work if you get stuck and need further assistance.
1) The half-life of C-14 is 5730, so would the answer be 2865 years?
2)Is this how I should do it?
But how do I do it when you said it's k*t and .693/t1/2 is .693 divided by t
2865 years is right.
k= 0.693/5730 = ?? (plug in below).
Solve for t.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - a cubical wooden box of internal edge 1m is made of 5cm thick wood.The ...
- Science - Carbon-14 has a half-life of about 5,600 years. Archaeologists ...
- chemistry - A wooden object from a prehistoric site has a carbon-14 activity of ...
- adv functions - joe is building a wooden cylindrical storage box. the box will ...
- Chemistry - A piece of wood found in an ancient city has a carbon-14 to carbon-...
- geometry - a closed box of uniform thickness is made of wood 1cm thick. Its ...
- physics help please - a horizontal force of 8.0 newtons is used to pull a 20.-...
- maths - A box 48 cm by 48 cm by 36 cm high is made of wood .5 cm thick. If the ...
- MATH - Okay bottle wooden box of internal age 1 metre is made of 5 centimetre ...
- solid mensuration - If a match box has inside dimensions of 2 in. by 1 ¼ in. by ...