Posted by Margaret on Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 8:15pm.
Can someone please help me with the following questions?
1:Suppose you were given an ancient wooden box. If you analyze the box for carbon-14 activity and find that it is 50% of that of a new piece of wood of the same size, how old is the wood in the box?
2:How old is an Egyptian scroll made of papyrus that contains 75% of the amount of C-14 that would be found in a piece of paper today?
Please and thank you!
1. The half-life of a material is the time it takes for 1/2 of the material to disintegrate. Thus, the box, if it has lost 50% of its activity, must have gone through one half-life. What is the half-life of C-14? Take 1/2 of that.
2. Suppose you start with 100 atoms of C-14. If the activity is now 75%, we must have 75 atoms today.
Substitute the half-life for t1/2
to find k, then substitute k into the ln equation and solve for t.
Post your work if you get stuck and need further assistance.
1) The half-life of C-14 is 5730, so would the answer be 2865 years?
2)Is this how I should do it?
But how do I do it when you said it's k*t and .693/t1/2 is .693 divided by t
2865 years is right.
k= 0.693/5730 = ?? (plug in below).
Solve for t.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PHYSICS - Two horizontal forces, F1 and F2, are acting on a box, but only F1 is ...
- physics - Two horizontal forces, and , are acting on a box, but only is shown in...
- Physics =/ - Two horizontal forces, and , are acting on a box, but only is shown...
- Uos - Two horizontal forces, and , are acting on a box, but only is shown in ...
- Physics - Two horizontal forces, F1-> and F2-> , are acting on a box, but ...
- math - Jane decides to build a wooden pencil box. She allows 32cm along the ...
- Science last question - Which of the following boxes would have the strongest ...
- science plz correct me - Which of the following boxes would have the strongest ...
- Phyiscs - A wooden box with a mass of 10.0kg rests on a ramp that is inclined at...
- Physics - A wooden plank is inclined at and angle of 23 degrees above the ...