Posted by jasmine20 on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 2:18pm.
How do you graph these types of problems.
Graph each of the following inequalities.
4x + y (grater than or equal to) 4
Get y by itself on one side and then graph and shade the region depending on the sign (< or >) and make the line dotted if it is not equal to.
"Anonymous" is correct.
The solid line above which the graph should be shaded is
y = -4x + 4
It goes through y= 4 on the y axis and has a slope of -4.
? I MAY SOUND DUMB BUT I DON'T GET IT.
i still don't get it
4x + y >= 4
You have to draw a figure that shows which coordinates (x,y) satisfy the inequality and which don't. It's easiest to consider the border line. At the border
4x + y = 4 --->
y = 4 - 4x
You draw this line forst. The line itself belongs to the region and all points that are above this line, as you easily see from the inequality. The points below the line don't satisfy the inequality.
do you mean that i only have to have one line on the graph which the points go through,.(0,4) and (1,0) AM i correct or not.
Yes. There is only the one line officially on the graph. It will be a solid line because the inequality says greater than or equal to. (It would be dotted if it just said greater than.)
However, you need to shade the area above the line that you graph because there are many solutions to the inequality.
Does that help?
why do you need to shade to graph an inequality
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - I'm having a hard time with graphing this problem. Could someone please ...
- algebra 1 help - I am having a hard time understanding these problems would some...
- math (graphing) - I need to graph "y = -2x+5" and "y = 4/5x-3"... I don't think ...
- Algebra - Solve the following system of linear inequalities by graphing. x-3y>...
- Systems of Inequalities-8th Grade Algebra - Graph the equation. The graph will ...
- Algebra - Consider the two inequalities 2x - 4 < y and y < -2/3x + 2. (b) ...
- Algebra - Use a graphing calculator or a computer to graph the system of ...
- Math (Geometry) - "The graph shows types of trash in a typical American city. ...
- algebra - Graph the system of inequalities x (lesser or equal to sign)2 y (...
- college algebra - Graph the following function using transformations. Be sure ...