Posted by jasmine on Friday, December 22, 2006 at 9:49pm.
how would i find an equation of a line that goes through points(1,6) and (3,10)??
A straight line is
Substitute the points to make two equations.
Two equations; two unknowns, m and b.
Solve for m and b, then plug back into y = mx + b. That will the the equation for the straight line.
i don't understand?
You know how to solve two equations simultaneously. There are two unknowns, m and b. Solve them for m and b, list the values here and I will show you how to construct the equation for the line. Here are the two equations from above.
eqn 1: 6=m(1)+b
eqn 2: 10=m(3)+b
To start you in the right directin, here is what you do to solve the equations.
1. Multiply eqn 1 by -1
2. Add the result + eqn 2.
3. That will eliminate b. solve for m.
4. Plug m back into either equation and solve for b.
5. Post values for m and b and I shall show you how to write the equation for the line that passes through those points.
P=H-F/2H TO SOLVE FOR H
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- help! - Can you please give me one of them so I cansolve for the other one?...
- secant line, tangent line - f(x) = sqrt(x-1), 1<=x<=3 Let A = (a,f(a)), ...
- Algebra - Wrtie an equation of a line passing through (6,10) and (6,-6 y= mx + b...
- MATH - two circles whose equations are (x-3)^2+(y-5)^2=25 and (x-7)^2+(y-5)^2=9 ...
- Algebra - Can someone check my answers? 1. Write the equation of the line that ...
- Math Question - Laura was given two points (3,-2) and (-2,4) and was asked to ...
- Algebra - Given a line containing the points(1,4), (2,7) and (3,10) determine ...
- algebra - Find the slope of the line through the given points. (2,4) (6,-3). m=...
- Algebra 1 - 1.To solve the linear system below, which substitution of unkowns is...
- math, correction - bobpursley. i'm still questioning the problem states find the...