Posted by david on Friday, December 8, 2006 at 3:06am.
the volume of a cylindrical tin can with a top and a bottom is to be 16*pi cubic inces. if a minimum amont of tin is to be used to construct the can, what must be the height, in inches, of the can?
volume of cyliner is pi*r^2*h
do i like take derivitive of something since it talks about minimum. please help me. i don't get this
you want to minimize surface area.
Area= 2*2PIr + h*2PIr
but h= V/Pir^2
TAke dA/dr, set to zero, solve for r.
Then solve for h in the volume equation.
I need to know how to get the total surface area of a cylinder. The way that I get the lateral area is by taking by info for example 5cm x 12cm 60x3.14x2 =376.8cmsquared but I am trying to get the total area.
- calc - mia, Monday, January 7, 2008 at 7:16pm
set volume=16pi, solve for r
then substitute r in for the surface area equation (2pirh+2pir^2)
take the derivative
find critical point (where derivative=0)
then make sure that is a minimum
- calc - Anonymous, Friday, March 28, 2008 at 4:45pm
- ervjz xafhb - ervjz xafhb, Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 2:24pm
bugizmyrw xzpegdu zvrmx bpkcqahx bvzhgx ctelbsujr jydpzvqar
- calc - e3gan, Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 7:55pm
gu sdrgpdsjgpou iuo g
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - A cylindrical tin can holding 2 gal.has its height equal to the ...
- solid mensuration - A cylindrical tin can holding 2 gal.has its height equal to ...
- math - A cylindrical tin of diameter 9cm and height 224cm is half filled with ...
- Math - A cylindrical can is made from tin.If it can be contain 1000 m^3 liquid ...
- calculas,math - A cylindrical can is made from tin.If it can be contain liquid ...
- math - a closed tin is in the shape of acylinder of diameter 10cm and height ...
- calculus - Use differentials to estimate the amount of tin in a closed tin can ...
- calculus - right circular cylindrical tin cans are to be manufactured to ...
- Chemistry - Cadmium and a solution of cadmium(II) nitrate are used with tin and ...
- Calculus- PLEASE HELP - A rectangular piece of tin has an area of 1334 square ...