Posted by cassidy on Sunday, December 3, 2006 at 9:13pm.
i need an outline for what i should take notes on while i read a book because when i finish reading i need to write a book analysis.
thanks in advance
Keeping a reading log or reading journal is the best way to remember what you read and what you were thinking about when you read it. Here are some websites with further explanations and examples:
And here are the instructions I give to students at the beginning of each semester:
Directions for Keeping a Reading Log
1. Write in a spiral-bound or 3-ring, 8½ x 11-inch notebook.
2. The format for a good reading log is this:
~Take your notebook and draw or fold a line running vertically down the center of each page so you have two columns approximately 3" wide each.
~Put the date and the title and author of the assigned reading at the very top of the page. You should also keep track of page numbers as you go, so you will be able to reference ideas later in the semester.
~At the top of the left column, write NOTES; at the top of the right column, write RESPONSES.
~As you read (during your second reading, as explained on pp. 2-4 and 8-10 in The Riverside Reader) or participate in a study group in or out of class, write your notes paraphrase, quotation, or summary) or questions in the NOTES column, leaving the corresponding space in the right column blank for the present.
~Later, go back and reread your notes. Then add your responses in the empty column as you reflect on the whole reading. You may use this space to answer any questions you posed (even if your question was “What does the author mean by _________?”), to comment on anything you found particularly important, fascinating, well written, confusing, etc. Responses may be written when you are alone or in a study group.
~As you practice, you will develop processes and patterns for yourself. You will find this one of the ways to become a more active reader. (It is also a helpful method when dealing with difficult textbooks.)
~This is a good study technique to use in any subject area, and there are many ways to vary it, including the following:
~~>instead of making columns on each page, use the left page of an open notebook for NOTES and the right page for your RESPONSES;
~~>across the top of the first page of a reading selection, write a statement about the work, so you'll know what each group of notes is referring to;
~~>at the end of each reading selection, write a very brief summary of that set of notes.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Peter is reading a 103 page book. He has read three pages more than one ...
- History - I am reading the Jungle and have not yet finished reading it I still ...
- English - 1. This book is worth reading. 2. It is worth to read this book. 3. ...
- Reading - I didnt read a book for reading and i need to do a clue map stating ...
- English - Reading the book Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Will have to write book ...
- Reading - Need to finish reading a book but I am on pg 76 and thar is 178
- English - Which is the most important step you need to do as a study reader? A. ...
- math - Kenny`s book has 141 pages. He wants to read the same number of pages ...
- Math - The book that Rudy chose to read for his book report has 198 pages. He ...
- math - The book that Rudy chose to read for his book report has 198 pages. He ...