Posted by Devonna on Friday, December 1, 2006 at 7:15pm.
Which is a simple sentence?
1. Given the time of day,we were lucky
to find a taxi.
2. Shelia used the lawnmower and Jacob
drove the tractor.
3. Eventually she will.
4. Jennifer and Brian gave money to the
Would number 4 be an example of a
There are three simple sentences among these four. Number 4 is one of them; which are the other two?
A simple sentence contains only one independent clause, although it can have various modifiers and phrases in it, too.
1 and 2-
but this is where I AM CONFUSED BECAUSE
THERE ARE THREE AND I CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE
An independent clause is a group of words that contains a subject and verb and expresses a complete thought. An independent clause is a sentence.
Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz.
I don't know which one to tell you to choose. You might speak to your teacher and point out the following:
1. Given the time of day, we were lucky to find a taxi.
SIMPLE SENTENCE: one independent clause, two phrases
Given the time of day
= participial phrase, not a clause
we were lucky
= main subject and predicate
to find a taxi
= infinitive phrase
2. Shelia used the lawnmower and Jacob drove the tractor.
COMPOUND SENTENCE: two independent clauses
Shelia used the lawnmower
= one independent clause
Jacob drove the tractor
= second independent clause
3. Eventually she will.
SIMPLE SENTENCE: one independent clause
4. Jennifer and Brian gave money to the orphanage.
SIMPLE SENTENCE: one independent clause with a compound subject
= compound subject
= direct object
to the orphanage
= prepositional phrase
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Hi! So this question kind of has two parts to it. If someone could help ...
- math - Brian recorded the amount of money he spent over the last 5 days. He ...
- math - The bank gave jennifer $20 to start a savings account. Each month ...
- COMPUTER SCIENCE - Write a program that calculates and displays the total travel...
- Algebra - Tom went on a 3 Day road trip in which he drove the same number of ...
- english - Find the simple subject and simple predicate in the sentence below: ...
- English - Read each sentence then write whether the sentence is simple or not ...
- English - How would I use the word "Salvation" as a noun in a simple sentence? ...
- English - 5. Which sentence correctly uses punctuation with dialogue? a. I don't...
- english - (jacob and jacob was discussing) the rgument during the debate. is the...