Posted by jason on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 at 1:57pm.
a poster is 25cm taller than it is wide. it is mounted on a piece of cardboard so that there is a 5cm border on all sides. if the area of the border alone 1350cm^2, what are the dimensions of the poster?
It is almost a must to draw a diagram but I can't do that on the computer. It will help you to do so.
height of inside poster = w+25
width of inside poster = w
area of inside poster =w*(w+25)
Border is 5 cm on each side; therefore, its height is w+25+top5cm+bottom 5cm=w+35
Border width = w + left 5 cm + right 5 cm = w + 10 cm.
area of entire unit is (w+35)*(w+10)
area of inside poster is w*(w+25)
The border is 1350 cm2
. Set this into an equation.
area entire unit-1350=area inside unit.
(w+35)*(w+10)-1350 = w(w+25)
Solve for w, which is the width of the inside poster. Add 25 to that to obtain the height. Then add 10 to each to obtain the dimensions of the entire frame. Post your work if you get stuck.
math - bob, Monday, November 30, 2015 at 6:44pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - a poster is 24 cm taller than it is wide. it if is mounted on a piece ...
- math - A saree is 5m long and 1.3m wide .A border of width 25cm us printed along...
- geometry - a poster art exhibition is to display a square picture with a white ...
- math - A rectangular flower garden is surrounded by a grass border. the grass ...
- math - a rectangular vegetable bed 10m long and 6m wide is edged on four sides ...
- geometry - a rectangular flower garden is surrounded by a grass border, the ...
- maths - my exams are starting from next week i am facing so much problems in ...
- math gr. 10 - A concrete border is to be built around a triangular flower garden...
- maths - 1. You are cutting colored cardboard rectangles for school art show. ...
- Calculus - A graphic designer is asked to create a movie poster with a 128 in^2 ...