Posted by Eva on Friday, November 17, 2006 at 8:55pm.
orlando likes baseball. He's a good fielder, but he wants to improve his batting average. currently .200 (or 20%) for the first part of the season. he practiced a lot with a friend and managed to hit 10 out of 20 times that he was up to bat that season.
Suppose Orlando's batting average at the ened of the season is 30% How many hits did he get during the earlier part of the season?(when his average was 20%)
The total hits in the season was 10, the total at bats was 20
H is hits first part of season
AB is at bats first part of season.
But at the end,
(10 + H)/(20+AB) = .3
Put the H=.2AB for H in the second equation, and solve for AB. Then solve for H.
I assume that the 10 out of 20 occurred after he had batting practice with his friend. Let X be the number of "at bats" before that. Then
10 + 0.2 X/(20 + X) = 0.3,
the end-of-season batting average. Solve for X.
10 + 0.2 X = 6 + 0.3 X
4 = 0.1 X
X = 40
thanks! very helpful
no of hits15 no of times at bat 60
- MATH HELP!!!!!!!! - Julz, Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 7:00pm
Y= 40 Bats
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - orlando likes baseball. He's a good fielder, but he wants to improve his...
- math - A baseball player's batting average is calculated by dividing the number ...
- Pre-Algebra - PLEASE! - Ray's son, Martin, plays for the mnor league baseball ...
- Algebra - A baseball player's batting average is the number of hits the player ...
- physics - A baseball is hit into the air at an initial speed of 35.5m/s at an ...
- Science - Megan, Jose, Austin, and Timothy are driving from Atlanta to Orlando ...
- physics - A ballplayer standing at homeplate hits a baseball that is caught by ...
- literary - No one could have predicted that a skinny 20-year-old baseball player...
- Statistics - In baseball, is therelinearcorrelation between batting average and ...
- Physics - A baseball player uses a pitching machine to help him improve his ...