Posted by Jessica on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 5:02pm.
Two cars leave town going in the same direction. One travels 55 mph and the other travels 65 mph How long will it take before they are 180 miles apart?
Hint: We do know that one car is 180 miles ahead of the other, so the slow car's distance can be represented by " d " and the distance of the fast car, which would be ahead, can be represented by "d + 180." The time is the same again, and can be represented by "t." This time we have two unknowns, so we need two equations, one for the fast car, and one for the slow car. Again we are using the basic formula d = rt , and substituting the values that are relevant to our situation. The equation for the slow car is: d = 55t. You write the equation for the fast car, and solve the system by substitution. Don't forget the units in your answer.
In the same direction.
distance slow= 55*time
distance fast= 65*time
But we know the distance between= distance fast - distance slow.
or distancefast= 180 + distanceslow.
so substutute that in the second equation.
but distance slow= 55*time then
solve for time
180= 65*time -55*time
180= (65 -55)time
time= 18 hrs
so then the answer is 18 hours?
or do you just want me to check that?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Help...Math...Algebra...please!... - Two cars leave town going in the same ...
- Help again...Math!! - Two cars leave town going in the same direction. One ...
- Help!...Math... - Two cars leave town going opposite directions. One car is ...
- Help w/this one again(Math!!) - Write one or two equations to represent the ...
- math - two cars leave town at the same time. one travels west at 56 mph, and the...
- ALGEBRA 1!!!(2) - 2.Two cars leave town going opposite directions. One car is ...
- Word Problems!! - PLz help me!These questions are on my study guide for ...
- Algebra - 1) Two cars leave town at the same time going in opposite directions. ...
- Lee college - two cars start driving in the same direction from the same place. ...
- Math - Please help me! Two cars leave town going opposite directions. One car is...