Posted by Count Iblis on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 3:37pm.
i^6 = (i^2)^3 = (-1)^3 = -1
The square, not the square root of -1 is 1. :)
B.t.w., can you prove that -1 times -1 is 1? Hint, try to prove first that for any number X:
-1 times X equals -X
How do you find the square root of -1?
The square of any real number is alwayspositive. This means that if you want to define the square root of minus 1 you have to extend the real number system. Mathematicians have invented imaginary and complex numbers to deal with this.
The square root of minus one is denoted by i. So, by definition:
i^2 = -1
Complex numbers are numbers of the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers.
(1 + i)^2 = 1 + 2 i + i^2 = 2 i
Actually, we can't take the square root of a negative number. Mathematicians have a way. To find the square root of a negative number, take the square root, as if it were a positive number, then add the letter "i" (the i stands for imaginary). Therefore, the square root of -1 is 1i.
Suppose / is equal to square root symbol and ^ is the power
Then what would this be
It is 1.You see when you take a negative number and multiply it to a negative number it becomes a positive.
when you take a positive number and multiply it to a negative number then it stays negative:
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math Help - the square root of 3 times the square root of 15 also the square ...
- Math - Just need some help... Directions: Multiply or raise to the power as ...
- Math ~CHECK MY ANSWER~ - 1) Which of these is a rational number? a. Pi b. Square...
- math - 1) Which of these is a rational number? a. Pi b. Square root 3 ****** c. ...
- math - Nakim simplified 3 times the square root of 2x plus x times the square ...
- Math - What is the square root of 12? 3.464 Well, that's true, but you could ...
- Algebra - Rationalize each expression by building perfect nth root factors for ...
- Math ~CHECK MY ANSWERS~ - 1) Which of these is a rational number? a. Pi b. ...
- Calculus - A rectangle is bounded by the x axis and the semicircle = square root...
- Math simplifying mixed radicals - Please help me simplify these following mixed ...